Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

pulled from an airfield in Germany

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Erich, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

this is one of 4 boxes I have or am receiving the next weeks. this one is actually quite rare.

32 inchs by 10 1/2 by 9 inchs.

several of you may know what the box had contained by the faded label which should be white and a vertical blue band faded in this case to green indicating rounds with steel casings.

take a gander and a guess as to what was carried within. the pics will probably come out very small but will leave the thread open for comment(s) and take closer views. the box is wide open meaning no central or dividing compartments and the rounds were covered individually with cardboard cylinders laying side by side and on top of one another, a heavy load to carry for two men.

E ~

Attached Files:

107thcav and Kai-Petri like this.
  2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

A 3-cm Mk108 Minengeschoss shell box ! Very rare and :cool: !

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Nice munitions box. The thing minus the chips an such, looks to be in great condition. Great score E ;-))

4. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Martin I may ask upon you to show your Mine-Geschoß 3cm later on when I take close-up's of the interior and exterior of this box.

I also have three others when the time is right and bright enough in the home to take pics of for it is dark, grey and wet at present

thank you gents for the comments .....more coming.

E `

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

did this get lost in the shuffle already guys ? only two comments......... ?

hmmmmmmmm thought there would be more

6. Martin Bull

That's the way of it on the Forum these days.....:(

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

think you're right Martin too many postings and replies in FFZ, seems to be taking over

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I just noticed, great box and especially the label which is in perfect condtion

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

thanks Skip ! yes closeups when it gets here also another fav of mine a 2cm M-Geschoß box in my little possession with 2cm cut right into each end corner near the carrying handles, did not even know I had it until I got the magnification glass out for a closer inspection.........

10. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I'm not much into collections, nor do I have anything to add to the discussion. But rest assurred the post was looked at, if not commented upon until now by myself. Don't be discouraged, sometimes the stuff is interesting (like your new possessions), but many may not have too much to add other than being "green" with envy or something.

11. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

12. Martin Bull

The sun is shining here today so quickly put these together from my collection for a snapshot...

[​IMG]

I shall never forget hearing a 100th BG veteran's recollections of being - literally - blown out of the sky as a result of a Me262 attack on his B-17 formation......

107thcav, Kai-Petri and Erich like this.
  13. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

thank you Martin for posting the pair. even after all these years the things still look sinister

E ~

14. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

you guys might be interested in the ammo and boxes a close-up not often seen at all :

German 2cm FLAK 38

I have a similar 2cm ammo box as the ones shown but in LW aircraft mode instead of Flak

15. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

great photos Erich / Martin .....sinister looking indeed, would not want to be on the recieving end of those :eek:

16. 107thcav

107thcav Member

Martin have never seen rounds in a collection like that before. I don't believe Wright Patterson AFB even has anything like that in the collection. Does the one still have the linkage attached. Very nice indeed.

17. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

really I would have thought WP would have. Martin actually has two of the nasty 3cm rounds, the one on the right is most likely the M round, yellow body this could be either plain He or HE I, obviously the finish and if Incendiary has the colored bands at the base of the round polished/worn off. The round to the left could be tracer mix filled, one with self destroying round, another without plus the streamlined 3cm rounds could be fitted with the Glimmspur which is faint tracer for night fighting. the round is yellow body with a dark red band at the base and a green band right below the fuze, which is marked ZZ1589A.

the round in Martins pic to the right is what would have fitted in my 3cm box that is enroute.

18. 107thcav

107thcav Member

Erich, I talked to one of my buddies who happens to work there and the 3cm is talked about as armament for the JU-88 night fighter and variations of the ME-262 but not one round for display. I was told these were also used in Flak guns. Is this true? Martin, must have a nice collection. I sure would hate to encounter one of these. Thanks for the info.

19. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

the 3cm were are talking about was not used in Flak arms nor in the Ju 88 NF's. the Bf 110G-4 used as a NF had the upper nose equipped with two 3cm weapons so yes in this instance. the oblique weapons when fitted to the He 219A NF were also 3cm cannons as well. The heavier Sturm Fw 190A-8/R2 had two 3cm cannon, one in each outboard wing position replacing the effective 2cm MG 151/20 which were in the inboard positions.

20. mrawlgrip

mrawlgrip recruit

Hi All , I have been reading and getting into how many older pieces still exist out there from WWII. After reading about the boxes found it reminded me that I have a wooden Flak box that I bought from an older friend who's wifes father had been in North African fighting Rommell and picked up a Flak box with one central lock and in very good condition is stenciled "FLAK" and underneath it it says "Nicht Werfen". He packed it full of many items along the way and mailed it home. Pretty cool item with assorted coins , SS matches,some mixed badges,a bullet with oriental marking made into a lighter, etc. I have been thinking of putting it on ebay but have no idea of the value? Thanks , Dave