Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Quartermaster Supply Logistics Questions

Discussion in 'Weapons & Technology in WWII' started by MeatballB, Aug 13, 2015.

1. MeatballB

MeatballB New Member

Trying to figure out some details around the transport of supplies from quartermaster depots to the front lines and how the logistics of the movement of actual payloads. I've found some great resources online in 4 pdf volumes called "The Quartermaster Corps" by the US Army but still missing some info.

For the US side it looks like most supplies were transported using one of the following:

• Jeep (1/4 Ton Truck) - 300 Mile Range (15 Gallons), 54 Mph max, payload 660 lbs.
    • Dodge WC Series (3/4 Ton Truck) - 220 Mile Range, 45 Mph max, payload 1750 lbs.
    • GMC CCWK (2 1/2 Ton Truck) - 300 Mile Range, 45 Mph max, payload 5500 lbs.

From what I can tell there were two trailers primarily used as well, a small "MBT/T3" 1/4 Ton Trailer with the Jeeps, and a larger "G518" 1 Ton Trailer used with the WC's and CCWK's.

So, here's a few questions I've been trying to figure out:

1. What's a realistic range / speed that the vehicles really moved on the back roads of the battlefield?
    2. What were the impacts to range/speed for the various vehicles when they were pulling a loaded trailer?
    3. Were half-tracks (M2/M3's) or any other vehicles often used in a supply transport role?
    Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

In plenty of areas the "Q" store was located in a secure area...and the soldier went to the store rather than the store coming to it...there was always a healthy black market, so QMs were reluctant to "send" stuff...just my two cents.

3. MeatballB

MeatballB New Member

Ah, how far back would the "Q" store generally be from the front lines? I assume there'd still be a main depot even further back that would be shipping supplies up to all the stores in front of them, no? Can't seem to find a whole lot of information on the specific mechanics of how supplies got shuffled around.

4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Trucks mostly...later choppers...

5. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

That's a good start, but much of the "missing info" is contained in the sources found in the four volumes. However, much of that is specific to "Quartermaster" supply, which is more from the procurement, administrative, and warehousing side of things. For how it got to the troops, you need to look at the records of the Transportation Corps. They were responsible for moving all logistical items from QM depot and ports, by ship, rail, or motor vehicle. For how it worked in a theater of operations, you need to look at the two volumes Logistical Support of the Armies.

The 1/4-ton, 1/2-ton, 3/4-ton, and 1 1/2-ton "light" truck series of vehicles were generally used for tactical operations...i.e. roughly from the battalion forward. The "light-medium" 2 1/2-ton trucks and heavier were used for logistical support from ports/depots forward to supply points in the army group/army/corps and thence to divisions. The most common, especially until late 1944, was the 2 1/2-ton truck, because production of heavier trucks was always behind demand. However, heavier truck and trailer combinations, seven, ten, twenty, and forty-five ton units, were much preferred for long-haul movements because of their greater efficiency.

1. Convoy speed at all times was usually 25 m.p.h. or less. In addition, rests times (there were rarely more than one vehicle per driver due to U.S. Army manpower limitations), night driving, poor roads, and congestion all needed to be factored in.
    2. Generally it was found that vehicle and trailer combinations could be double-loaded, i.e., the 2 1/2 ton truck and 1-ton trailer combination could actually haul as much as 7 tons, but the consequence was increased wear - especially tires, which became very problematic in the ETO, vehicle breakdowns, driver fatigue and thus accidents, and general maintenance requirements. It also required hard roads over a fairly level route without steep gradients and tended to break down road surfaces requiring more road maintenance, which placed an additional burden on the Engineers (who would then require more supplies, so more truck units supporting them, and etc.) Figuratively, there was no such thing as a free lunch when it came to logistics.
    3. No. Half-tracks and other fully-tracked support vehicles (mostly artillery tractors), which could carry some form of "cargo" carried unit supplies - the unit "basic load".

Cheers!

Rich

6. MeatballB

MeatballB New Member

Thanks for all the great info guys, much appreciated!