Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Question About Campaign Medals

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by SM Baker, Dec 6, 2018.

1. SM Baker

SM Baker Member

Hello,
    I have the Navy Separation Notice of my grandfather, Reginald J. Baker, Gunner's mate, 2nd class, USNR (Armed Guard).
    I have his Purple Heart and Bronze Star. In the "remarks" section of his separation notice are the individual theatres to which he was deployed. I wonder if he would have received a medal for each campaign, and what "2 stars; point system" would have meant. If he did receive medals and/or stars, could I order replacements? I've attached the part in question. Any info greatly appreciated.
    Thanks! Navy Separation Notice Reginald Baker 2.jpg

2. chibobber

chibobber Member

Hello,
    It appears your grandfather served in three theaters.Each would have a ribbon.Medals came later. He would have had to request the medals.The the "bronze star" is probably a battle star and not the Bronze Star Medal.So the PTO ribbon would have a star and the ETO ribbon would have 2 bronze battle stars. Five battle stars would be represented by a silver star.
    He may have earned a "Bronze Star Medal",but viewing in the context of the section posted it probably means a battle star.
    I do not know if being a grand child qualifies as being next of kin.(like mother,father,brother or sister).You can apply for replacements at no cost.(one time only).Do a search,the form is on line.
    Is the Bronze star medal you have engraved w/his name? I only ask this as valor awards were rare in the Navy. Points were earned for various things,the more points the sooner you went home.
    Good luck.

3. SM Baker

SM Baker Member

Bronze Star Reverse.jpg Purple Heart Reverse.jpg Bronze Star Award Ceremony 1.jpg
    Chibobber
    Thank you very much for this. Very interesting, and makes perfect sense. I think the ribbons and battle stars are likely lost to time. I'm fortunate to have the medals.
    Ye, both the Bronze Star medal and Purple Heart are engraved with his name. I also have the citation that was presented with the Bronze Star medal. He received these awards for heroism and wounds in the attack on Bari, Italy, which took place 75 years ago (Dec 2, 1943).
    I think I'll start working on getting those ribbons and medals!
    Thanks again.
    Stephen

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    George Patton likes this.
  4. chibobber

chibobber Member

Stephen,
    Quit the hero your Grandfather.It is wonderful that you have his medals w/citation,rare indeed.
    I do not have an ancestry account.Others use Fold 3 to find rosters and activities for naval personnel.
    Sent you a PM
    Bob

5. SM Baker

SM Baker Member

Thank you, Bob.
    It's a pity he died so young-35 in 1958. We believe it was a direct result of his being exposed to the mustard gas that night. Where do I find my pm's on this site? Is it the "conversation inbox?"
    I'll keep an eye out!
    Thanks again.
    Stephen

6. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Steven, check out this site Request Your Military Service Records
    If your father, mother, an aunt or uncle is alive, they are considered next of kin and can get a replacement set of his medals for free.
    The great part is they will research his records and may find awards you are not aware of. As Bob explained, during the war they needed the brass for bullets etc and only issued the ribbons except for the decorations (Purple Heart and above). The actual campaign or Occupation medals were given upon request after the was. Also, some medals were not issued until after the war was over, for instance the WWII Victory medal.
    Also if he earned any foreign awards they will not replace them, but will mention them and you can buy them from a commercial vendor or on Ebay.

Sorry your grandfather died so young, my brother made it through the entire war and later the Berlin Airlift and died in 1950 at 28.
    Good luck with your quest, Dave

7. SM Baker

SM Baker Member

Thank you, Dave. Very sad about your brother. Way too young.
    I can't wait to find out what exists.
    Thanks again.
    Stephen

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  8. SM Baker

SM Baker Member

Hi Dave,
    Incredible to have been a part of the Berlin Airlift- a true hero. Also, were Victory Medals only awarded per request?

9. SM Baker

SM Baker Member

Bob,
    I don't think I got the PM. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

10. chibobber

chibobber Member

I don't believe this site has the capability.I was just going to suggest another forum that may help you find more info.I'm reluctant to as I don't want to upset anyone.You may also hire a private researcher to pull his file.Unlike Army files that were lost in the famous fire,Navy records are intact.(Golden Arrow Research,Geoff has done good by me.Redbird is another one.
    Good luck
    Bob

11. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

To send a PM, go to the Profile page and select Start a Conversation. This acts as a PM.
    I second your recommendation of Geoff at Golden Arrow. He has done well by me, too.

12. lwd

lwd Ace

I seriously doubt anyone will get upset about that. Indeed they may thank you. Sites like that and this are important resources for people doing this sort of research I've even seen reviews both good and bad with regards to other forums and have suggested people look at some myself on a fair number of occasions and never had any complaints about the process.

13. chibobber

chibobber Member

Thanks lwd. I enjoy this forum and do not want to do anything to change that.

14. lwd

lwd Ace

If you are in doubt you can always send a PM to Otto but I'm pretty sure the general rule of thumb fit's into the "Information not shared is lost". My impression he and as a consequence this site are very much devoted to sharing information and that works for sites where it can be found and opinions on the same.