Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Question about DD214

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by JoshArterburn, Oct 15, 2010.

1. JoshArterburn

JoshArterburn Member

I got a nice surprise from the National Personal Records Center today a readable copy of grandpas DD214.

[​IMG]

now that its readable I have a few more questions. Under Arm of Service it says F A, the next box is Component and is listed as AUS whats does this mean? Also box #30 list his military occupation as Ammunition Handler 601, What does the number 601 signify? Lastly under remarks it says Lapel Button issued, I know that means the "Ruptured Duck" Honorable Discharge pin. But what does ASR Score (2 Sept 45)--72 mean?

Any assistance is appreciated.

2. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

Arm of service FA would seem to indicate Field Artillery, AUS=Army of US

From; Numerical list of Military Occupational Specialties - 12 July 1944

Korean War Educator: Topics - Military Occupation Specialty (towards bottom)

the ASR score was a service 'score' (Adjusted Service Rating)allocated to see who was due to return home first - somewhat equivalent to mission count for airmen.

http://www.custermen.com/AtTheFront/Points.htm

hope this helps :)

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Josh;
    F A was probably Field Artillery. AUS stood for Army of the United States, which meant he was a draftee. The number 601 was his MOS (Military Occupation Specialty, which I think was Ammunition Handler.

His ASR score was his Adjusted Service Rating or "Points" earned. Check this site for how they accumulated. POINTS - MILITARY OCCUPATIONAL SPECIALTY

EDIT: Nigel, you're too fast for me.

4. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

all good Lou - at least we are saying the same thing - that counts as due diligence I think :)

5. JoshArterburn

JoshArterburn Member

Wow that was fast. LOL Thank you both

Field artillery does make sense. Cause when this record was created he was part of the 443rd Chemical Mortar battalion. Which would be Field Artillery, right?

According to the link about the ASR Score. 85 then lowered to 75 was required to go home. So I'm curious why grandpas is only 72. This is kinda unrelated but would injuries due to the conditions on Attu be listed under Wounds Received in Action?

6. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

Have found confirmation from many sites that FA=Field Artillery, but suppose still possible is a self replicating assumption - it does seem to make sense however,but;

Chemical mortar battalion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the Chem Mor Bns appear to be considered infantry rather than artillery, so I'm thinking FA relates to his trade rather than his actual posting.

AFAIK the ASR was not always the 'only' requirement or chance of being sent home - it was only relevant when there were more troops due to come home than could be spared from a particular unit etc.

Wounds recieved in action - not certain - to get a purple heart there has to be enemy involved;

Navy and Marine Decorations - Purple Heart

so climate injuries would be recorded elsewhere to the 'in action' box i believe

7. JoshArterburn

JoshArterburn Member

Field Artillery still makes sense. Im sure there wasn't much Anti Aircraft action On Attu. It makes sense that they would have been used in a field artillery capacity.

I was wondering about the climate injury, cause I thought it might be the reason he went back to the US so soon. Instead of being shipped to another battlefield.

Also after finally being able to read the whole thing. I am even more convinced he is eligible for the American Campaign Medal.

I'm pretty sure he fits #'s 5 and 6

[​IMG]

he was in active combat against the enemy and His bronze campaign star would be a combat decoration. am I right about that?

I found the form to correct military records. I'm gonna submit a correction.

8. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

A climate injury might not count as an 'in action' injury, but if it was serious enough he could well have been sent home as a result, should have been a purely medical decision and not related to his length of service.

remind me which campaign star he has?

in general campaign medals are not counted as combat decorations as they do not require the recipient to be in combat, merely in theatre for a certain length of time etc. would have to check the specific star's requirements.

But I think you're right about #6 at least and probably #4 also

9. JoshArterburn

JoshArterburn Member

I meant the little bronze star on his Asiatic Campaign medal. the star is for service during the Battle for Attu. And I think your right about #4. The worst that can happpen is they tell me I'm wrong.

10. LRusso216

Josh, if you look further in the criteria for the American Campaign Riboon, I found this
    b. The eastern boundary of the American Theater is from the North Pole, south along the 75th meridian west longitude to the 77th parallel north latitude, then southeast through Davis Strait to the intersection of the 40th parallel north latitude and the 35th meridian west longitude, then south along the meridian to the 10th parallel north latitude, then southeast to the intersection of the Equator and the 20th meridian west longitude, then south along the 20th meridian west longitude to the South Pole. The western boundary is from the North Pole, south along the 141st meridian west longitude to the east boundary of Alaska, then south and southeast along the Alaska boundary to the Pacific Ocean, then south along the 130th meridian to its intersection with the 30th parallel north latitude, then southeast to the intersection of the Equator and the 100th meridian west longitude to the South Pole. The American Theater included North America (excluding Alaska) and South America.
    American Campaign Medal

That would seem to preclude your grandfather getting it.

11. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

I'm pretty sure the A/P campaign medal and Attu campaign star don't count as combat decorations - but if you have evidence he was definitely in combat then it could count towards #5 although I suspect that the 'certificate' is the only proof they would accept.

As you say though, they can only say yes or no :)

edit; or as Lou says maybe 'American theatre' is the issue, although if his record states 'continental service' it might still count even if Alaska doesn't?

12. JoshArterburn

JoshArterburn Member

He returned to the US on Dec 16, 1944 and was not discharged till Oct 12, 1945. Thats nearly a year right there. I believe he would have been stationed at either Camp Hood or Camp Fannan during that time. Like Spartan said the DD214 lists continental service as 1 year 4 months (It looks like a 4) 22 days. The overseas service listed as 1 year 7 months 28 days would be his time in the Aleutians.

His date of departure on his way to Attu was April 24, 1943. He arrived on May 11, 1943, thats 17 days as passenger. He Departed Attu for the US on Nov. 28, 1944 and arrived on Dec. 16, 1944. Thats another 18 days totaling 35 days as a passenger. However there not consecutive so #4 doesn't fit.

13. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

think #6 is your case :)

14. JoshArterburn

JoshArterburn Member

Yep, All I can do now is send in the form and cross my fingers. Thanks again spartan and LRusso for clearing it all up.

15. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

You're welcome. it's nice to be able to research something new with someone else to do all the 'legwork' as you do :)

16. JoshArterburn

JoshArterburn Member

Hahahaha, The leg work is the best part, I can't let you have all the fun.:lol:

17. LRusso216

Go for it, Josh. There's no harm in trying, and you just might get surprised. Good luck.

18. JoshArterburn

JoshArterburn Member

Thanks, All I need is a stamp then its off to Arlington Virginia.