Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Questions about this videos content

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by DustyStuff, Jun 18, 2014.

1. DustyStuff

DustyStuff New Member

Hello forum as you can see I'm new here. I have a few questions regarding the content of the footage I provided. I visited Prague last year and I came across a cemetery that seemed to have many graves of Germans who died rather young during the years of WW2. Anyway it spurred my interest in the region during WW2 which is apart of the war I always skimmed across and never looked into deeply. I came across some very fascinating color film from the U.S Army. I found the footage to be unique and captured the events very well.

My questions are for people who have knowledge on the specifics of units and where they served. I'm wondering if anyone can enlighten me on what units(U.S and German) are in the film and what operations they took part in prior to the events depicted here.

What I know is that the footage was taken by the U.S Army in and around the area of Plzen, Czechoslovakia during late April/early May 1945. According to the film slate descriptions the axis forces depicted are Wehrmacht, SS and white Russian conscripts. This is just a simple curiosity of mine and any information/thoughts regarding the footage are very welcome. Thanks.

Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRhXJs9TmVc

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The first group of armored vehicles at around the 2:30-3:00 marks looks like it has 16 Armored Division on the bumpers of the half tracks and jeeps. The 16th AD was in Pilsen.at the end of the war.

The US colonel at the 4:21 mark is wearing a US 16th AD patch.

3. denny

denny Member

Lots of females through t ...not female German Soldiers.
    A truck full of girls at 11:38.
    Who are they...riding with German Soldiers.?

4. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I don't know. Could government workers, rail workers, nurses or German citizens who are being forcibly expelled or figured they better leave the area before it got bad for them. They also could be Czech collaborators or mistresses. It will be hard to know for sure.

5. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

The Czechs were brutal to Germans when the war ended. Most of those Germans lived there - Sudeten Germans - but after the war, the Czechs had no patience for any Germans, no matter where they were from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6IFfQdM7EI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQWv9KpDWEg