Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Questions about WWII artifacts

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by jhermann, Oct 30, 2018.

1. jhermann

jhermann New Member

Good morning, all. My name is Jim Hermann and I am a high school history teacher. First of all, for all of you who have served, my sincerest gratitude on behalf of those of us who didn't.

My uncle, who passed away about a decade ago, was a medic in WWII and told me quite a few stories. Recently, his son (my cousin) found many artifacts that he brought home from the war. I was wondering if any of you would be so kind as to tell us what they are or what they mean? That would mean a great deal to us as we try and celebrate the service of our uncle/father.

Thanks!

Jim

Attached Files:

• WWII.jpg
      WWII.jpg
      File size:
      208.9 KB
      Views:
    George Patton likes this.
  2. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Clockwise from top left:
    1. US Army Good Conduct Medal and European–African–Middle Eastern Campaign Medal ribbon bars
    2. Luftwaffe (German Air Force) Obergefreiter collar rank insignia. Rank equivilant to Private First Class.
    3. One each additional Army Good Conduct Medal and European–African–Middle Eastern Campaign Medal ribbon bars
    4. Postwar commemorative civilian patch for the monastery ruin in Bad Hersfeld, Germany.
    5. Shoulder sleeve insignia insignia for First US Army. Appears to be Cold War era.

Items 1 through 3 are wartime, but 4 is certainly postwar and 5 is likely post war. Did he continue to serve into the Cold War? Or did he return to Germany after the war?

lwd likes this.
  3. jhermann

jhermann New Member

Alan-

He did not continue to serve into the Cold War, at least to my knowledge. Nor do I think he returned after the war. Could he have gotten item 4 (the Bad Hersfeld patch) from his duties during the war? I ask because I do know he made it to Cologne during the war. Seems Bad Hersfeld may have been a natural place for him to go next?

Thank you so much for looking at these and answering my questions!

Jim

4. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Judging from the appearance of the Bad Hersfeld patch it seems to be 1970s era or never. I just don't see it being from the war -- too clean and too sharp. I guess it is possible that a friend gave it to him after a postwar trip to Germany?

Your uncle also should have been issued a WW2 Victory Medal (World War II Victory Medal (United States) - Wikipedia ), an Honorable Service Lapel Button (Honorable Service Lapel Button - Wikipedia) and may have also been eligible for the Army of Occupation Medal with a "Germany" clasp (Army of Occupation Medal - Wikipedia). Assuming he saw combat, he is also likely eligible for a Combat Medical Badge (Combat Medical Badge - Wikipedia) and if so (as of 1947) retroactively a Bronze Star Medal.

His European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal would have had at least one "star" on it in either bronze or silver (not to be confused with the Bronze Star Medal and Silver Star Medal). One bronze star (again, not the Bronze Star Medal) represents participation in one campaign. One silver star represents participation in 5 campaigns. Your uncle would have at at minimum one bronze star on his Campaign Medal for Cologne (Central European Campaign).

All said, this is what his awards may have looked like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]