Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

RAF Cranage today

Discussion in 'Air War in Western Europe 1939 - 1945' started by pegasus, Apr 30, 2009.

1. pegasus

pegasus Member

Hi, on the theme of jp44 and my latest adventures I recently visited what is left of RAF Cranage near Crewe on my way home from work, there’s not that much left now as a gas storage site has just been built there, but what is left is on our list of sites for a more in-depth investigation

Remaining veiwing and defencive positions
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The site at Cranage was chosen for a training base and aircraft maintenance unit in August 1939. Originally just a grass airfield three runways were late built from American metal plank. The airfield unusual had 8 blister hangars for maintenance use.
    The first flying unit was No. 2 School of Air Navigation which was formed on 21 October 1940, it used the twin-engine Avro Anson for training navigators. In 1942 the unit was renamed the Central Navigation School and the strength was increased to 58 Ansons, later joined two years later by a number of Wellingtons in the same role.
    As well as the training role the airfield also housed and operational squadron from December 1940 with the formation of 96 Squadron with Hawker Hurricane. The unit operated in the night air-defense role mainly in the protection of industrial and port areas of Liverpool.
    Situated close to the airfield at Byley was a Vickers-Armstrongs shadow factory assembling Vickers Wellingtons, the completed aircraft were towed to the airfield for their first flights and onwards delivery. In July 1942 1531 Flight was formed as a Beam Approach Training Flight using the Airspeed Oxford. Aircrews were taught the techniques of the then new airfield approach aid. The maintenance site was also used by the United States Army Air Force and a small Sentinel-equipped liaison flight was also based.
    After the Second World War the only flying unit was No. 190 Gliding School which was formed in May 1945 and operated from the airfield for two years, with their departure flying ceased at Cranage. The airfield was used for storage and maintenance until 1958 when it finally closed.

I am not sure if these where shelters or storage buildings
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and these I really dont know, may be part of a road bolck or gate post??
    [​IMG]

Below is a list of the airmen buried in the cemetery at Byley

E.W.Padfield
    British
    Flying officer
    21 March 41

P.R.Hill
    British
    U/T Pilot
    21 March 41

I.N.Robinson
    New Zealand
    Air gunner
    22 July 44

J.W.L.Botting
    British
    Pilot
    28 April 42

G.E.C.Seale
    British
    Pilot
    28 April 42

G.C.Buxton
    British
    Pilot
    28 April 42

L.C.Salter
    British
    Pilot
    28 April 42

C.E.Forrest
    British
    Wireless operator/Air gunner
    28 April 42

B.W.Bowman
    British
    Pilot
    28 April 42

D.J.Williams
    British
    Wireless operator/Air gunner
    28 April 42

R.B.Snashall
    British
    Corporal
    28 April 42

R.J.Reay
    Canadian
    Pilot
    15 Oct 42

J.M.Matheson
    Canadian
    Pilot
    15 Oct 42

W.D.K Forbes
    Australian
    Flight Sergeant
    20 March 43

L.D.Watson
    Australian
    Flight Sergeant
    20 March 43

L.B.Sharman
    British
    Royal navy Commander (E)
    11 Feb 46

G.G.Reynolds
    British
    Petty officer airman Royal Navy
    HMS Condor
    11 Feb 46

The church
    [​IMG]

burial polt
    [​IMG]

some pictures as it was then

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

if any one has any more pictures as it was in its day please add to this post :D

Kai-Petri likes this.
  2. pegasus

pegasus Member

Hi, dose any one have any details of what happened on the 24' April, 42
    there where quite a few lost on that night, (now buried in the cemetery) I have had a look on the internet but have not come up with any info

3. texson66

texson66 Ace

4. pegasus

pegasus Member

Hi Texson, thanks for that, after doing my usual internet research I came up with some interesting information on a crash site just around the corner from where I live (Widnes near Liverpool), I was already aware of this site but interestingly the 111 was shot down by a Hurricane from 96 squadron at RAF Carnage flown by Sergeant Robin McNair
    Heinkel He111P-4A Werke No 2989 took off from its base at Avord in France on a bombing raid to Birkenhead (near Liverpool) totaling 339 air craft
    After being shoot up by the hurricane 3 bailed out and 2 were killed by the fighter
    The plane struck a barrage balloon cable anchored atMcKechnie Brothers Ltd on Ditton Road and crashed on farm land at 22.10 and burned out, the 2 dead airmen’s body’s where buried at Widnes cemetery and later moved to Cannock Chase cemetery, I will post some pictures of the site in the near future

5. blacksnake

blacksnake Member

Excellent info Pegasus mate ... I'm beginning to wonder if you have insider intel when it comes to RAF sites :D

I found a couple of photos of RAF Cranage dated 1944 ...

[​IMG]
    Stinson Aircraft, serial No. 42-98948
    Pilot Norbert Szabla
    RAF Cranage, 1944.

[​IMG]
    Group photo 14th Liaison Squadron
    , USAAF
    RAF Cranage, Spring 1944.

The 14th Liaison Squadron deployed to France in June 1944 from RAF Cranage for the invasion of Europe.

Found these photos Here
    Mainly shots from 1955, only these two from 1944
    Can't find out what happened on 28th April as yet, but will keep looking :)

6. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

The old PSL book 'Action Stations 3 - Military Airfields Of Wales And The North-West' by David J Smith has a couple of pages of info about Cranage and also a site map.....

7. pillboxesuk

pillboxesuk Member

Re 28th April 1942 check out this link

It was a Hudson ferrying crew.