Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

RAF Kirkham, Lancashire

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by molly2013, Jun 18, 2013.

1. molly2013

molly2013 New Member

Hi Everyone

I am doing some research into RAF Kirkham, now HMP Kirkham. I was wondering if anyone had any relatives that were at RAF Kirkham when it was a de-mob station (I believe). If anyone has photo's that would be fantastic.

Hope to hear from you and thank you in advance.

Shepherd and Kendusimmus like this.
  2. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Try the airfield information exchange site and 28 days later sites...have a look through their forum indexes...sure to find then and now sort of pics....They usually have all these places targetted for visits.

3. Shepherd

Shepherd New Member

4. Shepherd

Shepherd New Member

Hi I believe that my father was stationed at RAF Kirkham. He has just died and I have inherited some paperwork on his time there - he was there between 1945-47,
    He was released in 1947 when he had mustard gas burns

5. Rosanne hayes

Rosanne hayes New Member

I think my dad must have been there at some point , possibly demobbed there in 47 from his RAF record book. He has passed away quite recently and I'm interested in finding out anything I can about what it was like there

6. Mutley

Mutley Active Member

7. Rosanne hayes

Rosanne hayes New Member

Thank you Mutley will take a look :)

8. Mutley

Mutley Active Member

Hi again, read through these threads on the sister website WW2talk http://ww2talk.com/index.phpsearch/614841/&q=Raf+kirkham&o=relevance

I did a search of the British newspaper archives but it didn't reveal anything but two articles that really weren't relevant, just death notices of people who had passed away. In case I've mucked up pasting the link above, just search RAF Kirkham on the website. Sorry to hear your Dad passed away too, should have mentioned that in my first post. Time's a healer they say. All the best with your research.

9. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Member

10. Anniegirl

Anniegirl New Member

My mother was a WAAF nurse (LACW) in the hospital at RAF Kirkham. I know she was looking after RAF personnel who had TB and probably other illnesses. She said that they never had enough sheets and the only way to get extra sheets from the laundry was to rip a worn dirty sheet in half when sending it to the laundry. That way they would get 2 new sheets to replace the old one. I have some photos of RAF patients at Kirkham. Mum was stationed there 1944-1946.

11. Lindsey

Lindsey New Member

My grandfather was based at Kirkham awaiting de mob as far i as know from a letter.
    Sorry I don’t have any pictures but I am very interested in any history about kirkham.
    I never got to know my grandfather and would like to learn about his RAF service if anyone could put be in the right direction.
    TIA