Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

raine9471 Joins War44...

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Jim, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    Welcome raine9471! to war44 forums please introduce yourself by telling us where you are from, your interests in WWII or just History and how you found us.

Thanks,

War44 Team

2. raine9471

raine9471 New Member

via War44
    Hello fellow Troopers!

Hello Jim :thumb:

Thanks for letting me join your forum. I've already had a great time looking through the Photo Gallery ... those on the Eastern Front were very interesting!

You might ask what a lady is doing here! Well, my dad was in the War posted out to North Africa, and I believe he served some time in France but I don't know where and I don't know when. He was with the RASC. He was also one of those who got stranded on the beach in Greece and ultimately got captured by the Germans and sent to Stalag 383.

Whilst my dad was alive he didn't talk much about the war or his time out there and being young and more interested in the 1970's pop culture, I never asked. However he did have some photos, which lay in a box for years and years.

After he died I decided to have a good look at them. And amongst the pile were a few which I can not make sense of. They are of German troops. No-one in my family can tell me how my dad came to come by these photos, or where they were taken ... but they continue to haunt me.

Who were these German guys? Which regiment were they fighting with? etc. etc.

In my quest for this knowledge, I pieced together that they could be from the Guderian section involved in the fighting somewhere on the Eastern Front. The clues that I have is that the photos were taken in the summertime or spring, they have a truck bearing the letter G, and they have a Stug. The Stug is being transported on a long wheelbase vehicle, the likes of which I cannot find anywhere in books or the internet. There is a photo of a 120mm Russian mortar. Several of T34 Russian bombed out tanks, a few of the German troops on the move ... two in a wooded area and some in a bombed out city, and several others which raise more questions than they answer.

Anyway, I hope by reading through your forums and looking more in depth at your photos, I can solve these mysteries.

Best wishes
    Raine9471

3. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    Your very welcome raine9471, and its good to see you here. I hope that you find the information you seek as i understand how much this means to you. The pictures you have from your Father's collection are very interesting and the mystery of where they came from adds to the situation. We can only surmise where these came from, maybe they were collected by your Father as it is well documented that Allied Soldiers took their fair share of souvenirs from the bodies of German Soldiers, maybe given to him by guards while being a POW, i guess we may never know. I really hope you have luck in your quest and if you find more information i hope you will share it here with us. :thumb:

4. Dave War44

Dave War44 Member

via War44
    Welcome Raine. Why not scan the photos and publish them? You never know, you might get some further educated guesses from people here...