Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Rare Ctesiphon Hut Found In Fife

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by GRW, Jul 3, 2018.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

More exciting than you might think, since these things are rarer than Hen's teeth; think I'm right in saying the only other known one in the UK is on an airfield in England.
    Invented by the Waller Housing Corporation in 1943, these were made by stretching Hessian over a temporary light steel frame, then spraying concrete over it to a depth of about four inches. When dry, gables and windows were added, and the frame removed. This gives the roof its distinctive "covered wagon" look.
    This one is near the former RN base at Rosyth; I'm being deliberately vague because people are trying to have this listed as a scheduled ancient monument, and it would be tragic if the vandals got there first. Well, they have, but only a bit of grafitti so far.
    The hut has been in its current location since 1949, and is known to have been moved twice before that. These things are fragile by definition, so I would imagine Historic Scotland won't be relishing the idea of relocating it, but they might have to if it's going to survive much longer.
    Unfortunately, the roof has a split all the way through it, and all the way round, halfway down it's length. You can actually see daylight through it, so it's going to be problematic when winter arrives.
    I managed to get over this afternoon and grab these pics.

DSCF0005.JPG

DSCF0006.JPG

DSCF0007.JPG

DSCF0010.JPG

A few construction details.

DSCF0011.JPG

Appears to be a wire tie.

DSCF0012.JPG

Around one of the roof windows.

DSCF0014.JPG

The roof split from inside

DSCF0019.JPG