Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Rear Adm. Winfield Scott Cunningham - Wake Island

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Tim Johnson, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Tim Johnson

Tim Johnson New Member

Good day All,

I have recently come into possession of a signed copy of Adm. Cunningham’s book, “Wake Island Command.” Inside the book, I found a typed envelope sent from Adm. Cunningham. The envelope was dated and postmarked August 15, 1968 (President Roosevelt postage stamp affixed).

The envelope was addressed to a Capt. Stephen Dougherty of Cape May, NJ. Inside the envelope was a typed personal letter signed by Adm. Cunningham dated August 14, 1968. The letter was sent from Adm. Cunningham’s residence.

The letter was a personal message to Capt. Dougherty, however interestingly enough, Adm. Cunningham makes mention of the initial Japanese invasion as well as the contention that was to follow between historians concerning his decision to surrender Wake. Also, the contention between he and Maj. Deveroux (USMC) and the division that the differing opinions of the island’s surrender caused.

My question: I believe this is a significant piece of Wake Island’s history and I would like to have it viewed by a historian and obtain information/advice on the signed book as well as the letter. My hope is to eventually contact Adm. Cunningham’s surviving family and/or Capt. Dougherty’s with the intention of discussing these items with them. I believe that they should be returned to the families.

Thank you all for any and all advice/comments.

TJ

2. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large