Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Reci eve my Grandfathers Discharge and separation document.

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by TrailBlazer31, Jul 11, 2017.

1. TrailBlazer31

TrailBlazer31 New Member

After a disappointing attempt at a National Archive request, it was mentioned by someone on this awesome forum to contact the country records clerk for the county of his residency after discharge. As it turns out, they had it!

I learned some awesome info but am having a tough time determining the stuctiure I am looking at as far as unit. I myself served in the Army, but to me, it seems like some info is missing here.

Company E 32nd Infantry 7th Division
    Ryukyus

This seems to me that it would be E company of the 32nd Infantry Regiment which was part of the greater 7th infantry Division.

Anyone with expertise want to help me out here?

Thank you in advance to those who may help and those who have already pointed me down the right path!

IMG_0959.jpg IMG_0958.jpg

2. chibobber

chibobber Member

I believe you have it correct on the regiment designation.He would be eligible for one campaign star on the Asian Pacific ribbon.He would also be eligible for the Bronze Star conversion since he was awarded a CIB. Sharp Shooter with M-1 rifle.Shows him as a Mail Clerk,but he must have done some close combat to receive a CIB without the infantry MOS.
    It would be interesting to have a researcher pull the Morning Reports for his unit.PM if you want a referral for a researcher.

3. TrailBlazer31

TrailBlazer31 New Member

Morning reports? Never heard of those. May need to do some more research! Ha. Thank you!

4. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

Yes, I was thinking the same thing about the bronze star. One was awarded later (retroactive) to those who earned a CIB.

TrailBlazer31 likes this.
  5. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Looks like he was still in a line company when he discharged, my guess is that the "Mail Clerk" title / duty was an additional responsibility; it doesn't mean that he stopped being Infantry, especially at the company level. It just means that he had to go pick up and distribute the mail.
    At some point he went from a line platoon to the company headquarters, no real mystery at all.

6. TrailBlazer31

TrailBlazer31 New Member

Not really saying it is a mystery. Just have not been able to find much history or mention of the 32nd based on my research so far. I know they were out of Fort Ord California, and he departed via Ft. Lewis Washington and made his way to Okinawa, but I have been unable to find specific info on the 32nd. I did look at Okinawa: The Last Battle and did find some mention of 32d. I believe that would be his regiment as I found mention as well of Company E but I am wondering if that was Army or the Marine Division. Also, I found some mention of 10th Army. I am just trying to find all the info I can. That is the mystery portion to me anyway.....

Thanks for the reply.

7. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

He may have been working as a Mail Clerk at the time he was discharged. Morning Reports will provide his MOS each time he's listed while with E Company.

8. Manila84

Manila84 New Member

A lot of the histories are written at the Division Level, so your first stop could be histories of the 7th Infantry Division. Within there, you'll find more specific references to the 32nd Infantry Regiment. NOTE: Sometimes, it was written "32d". So always try that in Google searches.

Also, I can't find the citation right now, but I was under the impression that E Company would usually be in 2nd Battalion of an infantry regiment (ABCD in 1st, EFGH in 2nd). I would say that in my experience, it is extremely rare to find histories that mention specific companies. But they may mention the battalion movements.

Tenth Army (just during Okinawa) -> 7th Infantry Division -> 32nd Infantry Regiment -> 2nd Battalion -> E Company

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  9. TrailBlazer31

TrailBlazer31 New Member

Thank you so much for the info! That would make sense as far as division level is concerned.

I am trying to get my hands on some morning reports for more info.

Also, it turns out my uncle (his son) knew at one point he was in the 7th and has the history book!

10. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

You are correct that E Company would have been in 2nd Battalion.

Division history books are also the easiest to find because so many were produced. Some have also been reprinted, most notably by Battery Press. Most Division histories will have references down to Battalion level of the Regiments, but very rarely mention Company level. Regimental histories are harder to fine as fewer Regiments produced them and the quantity published was much smaller. Of those produced, the quality and amount of detailed info varied quite a bit. The better ones will usually have references down to Company level.

I have not seen a history book for the 32nd Infantry. However, there are always the unit records at the National Archives.