Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Red Ball Express

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Jolly Joker, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Jolly Joker

Jolly Joker New Member

I have recently been learning about my grandfather's role in WW2. He was a mechanic for the Red Ball Express. I was curious to know what that would have been like. From what I read, it seemed like a pretty hectic operation trying to keep all those trucks operating at once.

I don't know very much about the RBE except Wikipedia and some random Youtube videos. Is there anywhere else I can do to do research or someone who could tell me more about it? Specifically, I have a few questions:

1. How much danger would have been involved as a mechanic? Would he have been expected to be combat ready?
    2. Apparently there was a commendation or something that he turned down. Any clues as to what that could be?
    3. He brought home a decent stash of Nazi daggers, swords, rifles, and even a Luger. How would he have gotten that all back to the states? Was that allowed or was that a contraband operation?
    4. Is there anywhere I can look to see where he was stationed and what his other assignments were during the war? Is there a database that has that information public?