Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Removal of display on WWII's end riles veterans

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by JCFalkenbergIII, Feb 18, 2009.

1. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

This is just another example of PC going too far.

Removal of display on WWII's end riles veterans
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009

INDIANAPOLIS - A decision by the Roudebush Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Indianapolis to remove a framed newspaper with the headline "Japs Surrender" has sparked a national letter-writing campaign among veterans

Medical Center director Tom Mattice says he removed the 1945 Indianapolis Times front page after receiving a complaint from a new employee offended by the term "Japs."

However, a group of retired Marines says the action amounts to offering an apology that isn't due. It wants the artifact put back on the wall where it hung next to other World War II memorabilia for a decade.

Bud Albright, commandant of the Marine Corps League chapter in Indianapolis, goes so far as to say removing the framed newspaper is "a slap in the face of the US. military."

Removal of display on WWII's end riles veterans / nwi.com

2. STURMTRUPPEN

STURMTRUPPEN Member

that is bad

3. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

Surely they could just replace it with an adjusted headline along the lines of "Fine Japanese people decide conflict really isn't for them, and we can all be friends instead."

Reminds me of Noel Coward's "Don't lets be beastly to the Germans"

4. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

*******Minor Threadjack********​
    That reminds me of a documentary on the "History Channel" about Iwo Jima where they reunited survivors from both sides and compared how they felt about what had happened in the war. It was pretty fluffy and snuggely until they were talking to one Marine who in effect stated that he had no desire to forgive or regret any actions during the war and that the Japanese got everything they had comming to them. What made the statement even more poignant is that as they pulled away you were able to see the Medal of Honor hanging around his neck.
    *********Threadjack Complete*********​

5. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Another example of revisionism where the facts are being rewritten to keep from offending those who were on the losing side. Makes absolutely no sense to me. Should it be written that way now - no. As a WWII display that has a real newspaper with its headline - then it is what was the reality of how it was reported at that time. I'm certain that the Japanese papers of the time didn't write flowery and complimentary phrases about the Americans or other Allied countries.

brndirt1 likes this.
  6. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

I agree with you wholeheartedly Michelle. Its a newspaper headline printed during that era. Perhaps the PC police should go back and sanitize all the photos,newspapers,books,ect so as to not offend anyone in the future.:rolleyes:

7. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Word from World War sparks a war of words[

VA says headline slur offended, but removal of paper offends vets]

By Will Higgins
    Posted: February 18, 2009

At issue is a framed newspaper front page from an August 1945 Indianapolis Times. The headline: "Japs Surrender."
    Mattice, director of the Roudebush Veterans Affairs Medical Center, said there'd been a complaint: A new employee was offended by the term "Japs," a commonly used slur during World War II.
    So, Mattice took down the framed front page, which is now tucked away in the center's executive offices.
    That decision, however, has riled a group of retired Marines who call it whitewashing history and akin to offering an apology that isn't due. They are campaigning to have the artifact put back on the wall, where it had hung alongside other World War II memorabilia for more than a decade.
    Said Ronald "Bud" Albright, who as commandant of the local Marine Corps League chapter has started a letter-writing campaign among veterans nationwide: "We feel it's a slap in the face of the U.S. military. That newspaper is history, part of United States history."
    Dust-ups over such public displays are common and invariably emotion-charged. Last month, Indianapolis International Airport altered a photo exhibit after fielding a complaint over a provocative view of Israel and American Jews expressed in one of the captions.
    In 2002, some students at Indiana University fought for the removal of a Thomas Hart Benton mural depicting Indiana history in Woodburn Hall because it showed Ku Klux Klansmen. The mural stayed; the KKK is a part of Indiana history.
    The term "Jap" is a part of American history, emblematic of the racial prejudice that was promoted during World War II.
    "A precondition to fight a war is to dehumanize the enemy," said Guy Burgess, a co-director of the Conflict Research Consortium at the University of Colorado. "If you think of them as humans, you can't do the things war compels you to do."
    In the case of Japan and Germany, Burgess said, it was an easy sell. "There was lots of real evil in the Axis countries," he said.
    But that was more than 60 years ago. The Japanese, as well as the Germans and the Italians, have been allied with us ever since.
    "The war's over, but if you're going to tell it like it is, then you tell it like it was, and that's the way it was, just like that newspaper said it," said John Gromosiak, a Korean War veteran and artist. Gromosiak's paintings of American warships line the VA's hallway near where "Japs Surrender" used to hang and where another newspaper, proclaiming "GERMANY QUITS," hangs still. "You cannot hide history, or you shouldn't."
    Museums frequently must tread lightly, which they do by pairing controversial displays with detailed explanations. As part of the National World War II Museum's exhibit of propaganda posters, captions prepare the viewer for what they're seeing and put the grotesque images into context.
    "You would never want to put up an object without interpreting it," said Kacey Hill, a spokeswoman for the New Orleans museum.
    "But we are not a museum," said Mattice, the VA director. "A museum is where people go to understand the history. We are a medical center."
    Mattice said he has contacted the VA's national ethics office for a ruling on how to proceed. "Should we as a nationwide organization have a stance on these kinds of materials?" he wondered. "Perhaps we should."
    In the meantime, he searches for a compromise. Mattice has instructed one of his staffers to locate a different newspaper front page, one that carries the same news, of the war's end, but expressed more delicately.
    "Something like 'Victory in the Pacific,' " he said. "Or, 'Japanese Surrender.' "
    Albright is not calmed. "Oh, baloney!" he said. "To me, that's coming across with some smoke, some political smoke."

Word from World War sparks a war of words | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

8. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

What a travesty this whole story is, PC is all well and good I suppose (I don't agree with much of it though), but this is going just too far. What is next? Taking all the newspapers that had DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN on their banner, and burn them for fear of offending Tom Dewey's offspring?

Just bunk, in general. That headline reflected the mood of the time, not the derogatory slur that "Japs" has become today.

9. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'll tell you what we need to do:

1. Tell who ever was offended to put on their big-boy undies and go down to the vet's hospital.
    2. Give them a color crayon (that's probably more in tune with their intellectual age) and let them alter the "offensive" headline to meet their gentle sensibilities.
    3. Give them a teddy bear and blankie to console themselves and clean their thumb off so that it will be not have any germs on it when the suck it after having to endure such a dreadful undertaking.

IntIron, mikebatzel and WotNoChad? like this.
  10. texson66

texson66 Ace

Well, the "Japs" are probably the most racist group in Asia even today. The Japanese still consider outsiders as inferior although they can be very courteous to visitors. So I for one have no problem referring to them as Japs.

11. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Well you know for damn sure it wasn't any of the Vets who would complain. It had to be some new employee who probably has never even experienced or heard or read or even talked to a Vet about war.

12. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

I must admit I thought this kind of thing only really happened in Europe. Can't say I'm happy it's spread - could it be a virus?

13. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Personally, I dislike when people use the term, However I see absolutely no problem with it when speaking to veterans, or reading papers written during the era. If we want to understand what went on, we need these sort of things to place it in perspective.

14. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

I for one have always used it in a historical context. Never in a derogatory context.

15. acker

acker Member

There's a difference between racism and historical accuracy.

Even the people on these forums forget the lines (both ways) too often. I'm not sure if there even is a line. I have no hope for the rest of humankind. Especially after this article.

16. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Mar 4, 6:56 PM EST

VA hospital permanently replaces WWII display

By CARLY EVERSON
    Associated Press Writer

[​IMG]INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- A VA hospital director who upset veterans by removing a framed newspaper with the headline "Japs Surrender" said Wednesday that he has permanently replaced it with a later headline declaring "Peace!"
    The front page of Aug. 14, 1945 edition of The Indianapolis Times has been replaced with the next day's "Peace!" headline because it better reflects what soldiers who served in World War II were fighting for, said Tom Mattice, director of Roudebush Veterans Affairs Medical Center.
    He said the new display is also not offensive to any particular group of veterans.
    "What we really want to do is honor all of the veterans who come through our medical center to make sure that they feel respected and to make sure that their service is just as honored as everybody else who has served this country," Mattice said.
    He said he consulted the VA's National Center for Ethics for advice and he said they supported his decision to permanently remove the initial newspaper display.
    Mattice removed the "Japs Surrender" headline earlier this year after receiving a complaint from an employee offended by the term "Japs," a common slur during World War II.
    The removal sparked a national letter-writing campaign among veterans, who say taking down the display amounts to an attempt to whitewash history.
    Ronald "Bud" Albright, commandant of the local Marine Corps League chapter and leader of the letter-writing campaign, says he plans to fight the VA's decision and still wants the original headline returned.
    He says the chapter is discussing writing more letters, circulating a petition, or possibly holding a peaceful protest.
    "We don't intend to let this die. This politically correct stuff has to stop. Next thing you know, they'll start taking down war memorials and museums," Albright said.
    Mattice said he received about 25 letters and 40 e-mails opposing the removal the newspaper. But he said there were also letters supporting the removal.
    One letter from the child of a Japanese-American veteran thanked the VA for its decision. VA officials would not release the identity of the letter writer, whose father served in the 442nd Regimental Combat Team, a segregated unit primarily made up of Japanese-Americans.
    "My father returned from the service only to encounter many situations in which he was told that 'Jps' were not wanted," that letter states. "That slur has a long history in our country, and the 442nd veterans should not be subjected to it."

WBBM 780 - Chicago's #1 source for local news, traffic and weather

17. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

Japanese- Jap, British-Brit, Welsh-Taff, Irish-Paddy, Scottish-Jock American-Yank/Redneck. I could go on, it relates to a time when our nations being mostly on this forum British or American were at war with the Empire of Japan who were murdering savage Bastards who had NO RESPECT FOR THIER FELLOW HUMAN BEING:mad: and yet some jackass has the brains of a fly to decide that JAP is offensive:confused: and let history speak for itself FROM MY POINT OF VIEW FEEL FREE TO ADD YOURS. CHANGI BURMA, SIAM, RAILWAY,HONG KONG, PATIENTS MURDERED IN THIER BEDS,NOT TO MENTION THE WOMEN AND CHILDREN ENSLAVED IN CAMPS AFTER WALKING MILES.THIS MAKES MY BLOODY BLOOD BOIL:mad: MY DAD FOUGHT THESE BASTARDS AND PLEASE TELL ME HE DID NOT FIGHT IN VAIN.

18. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Since the VA is for the Vets I wonder if any complained? How about taking a vote and see if more then just one person was offended?