Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

replacing tanks

Discussion in 'Post-World War 2 Armour' started by BMG phpbb3, Mar 14, 2007.

1. BMG phpbb3

BMG phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    i was just thinking about this. would armies ever replace their tanks with a new weapon. i am think of hover tanks or human controled bipedal weapons

2. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    MAD-3R Marauder by the looks of things, nice, but I prefer a Madcat P or Daishi Widowmaker myself... ;)

In all honesty I doubt it, since the higher profile simply makes a much better target and whatever could be carried by something like that could probably be carried by a tank half its weight, with much lower silhouette and consequently much harder to hit.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see infantryman's exoskeleton type armoured suits (There was one featured in either Nuts or Zoo recently, I can't remember which), at the very least I'd consider them far more likely.

As for hovertanks, where they tend to lose out is in hillclimbing abilities (Which IIRC are generally about zero). Very usefull amphibious craft, not so good as MBT replacements though.

3. BMG phpbb3

BMG phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    so somthing like this...

4. Christian Ankerstjerne

Christian Ankerstjerne Member

via TanksinWW2
    Legged robots are generally not a very good solution, because they will easily tip over and fall, due to the high centre of gravity.