Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Reputation System

Discussion in 'Counter-Battery Fire' started by Col. Hessler, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

[​IMG]

2. scarface

scarface Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Love the t-shirt, Za!

...a-a-a-a-a-a-a-n-y-h-o-o....

back on topic.... is there any way to get a list of reputation that I have awarded - I note that the system won't let me award rep to the same poster more than once (even though the posts were different)

....says I gotta 'spread it around'.....

(....makes it sound like manure......

.....or a social disease!:eek:...)

-whatever

-Lou

Za Rodinu likes this.
  3. Za Rodinu

That's the problem. There IS a system but we poor mortals can't see it.

4. Shadow Master

Shadow Master Member

So....Can we see who we have given points too? If so, How? This is the big stumbling block for me to use the system. I would like too be able to give points too 20-30 members right off, but cannot tell who I have given too in the past. I think I have as yet given only one rep out and cannot remember to whom I gave it. Their are so many who have much enriched my time here and I would like to thank them with rep. Can this be enabled?

Otto likes this.
  5. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

As far as I know, it can not. I'm sure its tracked somewhere but GroFaz Otto :otto: or der Peppy :peppy: would be better inclined in this matter.

Otto likes this.
  6. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Unfortunately the current system will not allow me to let members view who they have given reputation to. It was meant to be an "impulse" feature, where members hand out kudos to deserving posts, not a way to reward the same members repeatedly. I' honestly would like to add this, but there is no way to do it yet. I'll keep an eye out and let you know if this is ever available.

One of the things I would like to add to the reputation system is the ability to assign a set amount of points based on your total. As it stands now, a user can only give all or none. For example, my current reputation power (based on posts, time served and reputation) is at 12, and I assign 12 point every single time I give positive reputation to a post. I must admit that there are times I have refrained from giving out rep because even I thought the post was decent, I felt it didn't deserve a full 12 points. If I can, I'll add a feature that any members can assign any number of points up to their total, and I feel this should make the Rogues much more likely to give out reputation, even if it is for less points on each occasion.

7. Otto

I've now added these features to the Reputation System. :thumbup: Take a look at this thread for details.

8. Shadow Master

Shadow Master Member

Excellent! Starting to award points now......

9. Shadow Master

Shadow Master Member

Heh heh, well........

"You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

More later...

10. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

lol. thats a new one.

11. Shadow Master

Shadow Master Member

Good work Otto!:D That said....

I have some initial observations based upon my two days using the rep system. I love the ability to give an encouraging word (and a point or too) too people that have enriched my life by making interesting posts for me to read. The rep system allows this without having to either take the time and trouble for a PM or to 'clutter up' their thread with a post to this effect.

In the two days I have used the rep system fully I have come up with some additional Ideas for further improvements. Here are a few of them.

What If: the rep system could have a feature built in too allow a user to set parameters that would make the system automatically offer the option of seeing the last 'X' posts by the author of a post I give positive rep too? If people get seriously active in using the rep system, this will inevitably lead to people manually looking up previous posts from the author of posts that they enjoyed and gave rep too.

If the rep system could have something like this built in, this would greatly simplify the process and would actually encourage the expanded use of the rep system. For Instance, lets say I come across one of T.A. Gardner's posts and want to give him rep for it. Lets say the system has a default built in that when you give a member positive rep so many times, the system will then simply ask if you would like to enable a "view previous posts by this author" option. If a user likes this idea, then they could click yes (for this particular author), or yes for all authors that they give multiple rep too, or just say no. If they checked 'yes' then the system would ask for the number of previous posts to display. This would be an especially useful tool for keeping up with prolific posters!

What If: the rep system had the ability to 'Que up' positive rep for people that you have found to make several good posts (or other service to the community). Once people start using the rep system big time, they are rapidly going to get too the point where they cannot give rep out to a deserving author. Without the ability to go ahead and make the comments, assign points and such, people will not be going back to do this later, and will have moved on. On the other hand, if I like an authors posts, do a search for his previous works, and unsurprisingly find several that are Worthy of rep, I can then just go ahead and give the rep and comments at that point. Once I have met the systems requirements, these points would then be automatically added.

For instance, lets use T.A. Gardner as an example again. I like the What If's. While browsing the WI section, I come across a post of his, like what I read and give him rep for it. Reading further (at some point) I come across another of his posts, and again attempt too give rep. If I am not able too give the rep then and there, most times I will not bother to go back and try again once I am able too. This means he will probably not be getting the rep he has earned because of the safeguards build into the rep system. On the other hand, if the system could just tell me "you have already given this author rep, and cannot give them additional rep until meeting the requirements. However, you can make your comments and assign points now, and they will be automatically given as soon as you are eligible". This means that he will get the rep he has earned, and still allows the safeguards to function properly.

Erich likes this.
  12. Joe

Joe Ace

I think there should be a way to see all of the reputation you have received, instead of just the last 25. That way we can reflect on the nice (and for some of us, not so nice) comments people have made about us.

13. Otto

Sorry guys, but I'm not going to be able to enhance the rep system any more than I've done so far. These are all good suggestions, but the reputation system was meant to be a minor enhancement of the boards, and I really add these enhancement without a massive amount of work that could be better spent elsewhere.

Remember this place is primarily a message board, with some nice bells and whistles attached, not a reputation system with a discussion forum attached. ;)

14. bigfun

bigfun Ace

:rofl::rofl:

15. scarface

scarface Member

Which brings to mind....

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to T. A. Gardner again."

I just tried to ring Terry's rep-bell, and got that message. I checked my User CP, and it's been 6 weeks and 9 other rep awards since the last time I was able to anoint him with my one point.

So, how long, and how many rep awards are required before you can re-award a rep to someone?

(well.... SOMEBODY needs to ring Terry's rep bell - he gives a lot of really good posts!)

-whatever

-Lou

Oh, yeah .... I love being able to check the rep that's been given out - well done, Otto - that's a great enhancement.

EDIT:

I just checked the thread that Otto linked above, and noted this post:

so...... question answererd.

-whatever

16. Otto

The reputation spread is 10 members, which means you are one member away from Mr. Gardner.

scarface likes this.
  17. Shadow Master

Shadow Master Member

Heh heh, After I lost the first post I was working on (my comp glitched), the replacement post (the one I actually made) didn't have the part about not wanting to ask too much, nor too seem ungrateful for what we have.:D

I won't be unhappy if the rep system never gets another upgrade, so am fine with what we have. Also wanted to thank you for making the information on how the rep system works publicly viewable. Now everyone can understand how the system works and make proper use of it.

I have too say it, the WW2f site is one of the best message boards I have taken part in. And we owe that to Otto and the moderators for all their hard work.:D:D:D

18. Za Rodinu

Whom do we pester when the mods decide to go all together on vacation?