Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Researching grandfathers, great uncles, 2nd cousins

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Alison Holmquist, May 6, 2018.

1. Alison Holmquist

Alison Holmquist New Member

Hi All,
    Greetings from Bar Harbor Maine! My name is Alison and I found this site via googling something or other. You all look like a great resource and I look forward to following this group. I have attached a photo of my grandfather's. That is him poking his head out of the door. He kept this photo in his wallet as you can see from the worn edges. I have the scan of the back of the photo w/ names on my work computer and will post that later when I get a moment. This photo was taken at an air base in England where he was an air mechanic of some sort. I am trying to learn where he was stationed and how that base partook in the war. I have written for a service record and like so many I received word back that the last pay record was the only document available to me for the tidy sum of $25. I probably will order it but I hold out little hope for intriguing leads.

I will not overwhelm with all of my other family members that I plan to research at this time as I want to keep each post unique to that relative and not to confuse myself. ;)

Kindest Regards,
    Alison
    12238228_10208194088195820_4548835084633270972_o.jpg

lwd likes this.
  2. chibobber

chibobber Member

Alison,
    Welcome to the board. Please provide any other info you have on your grandfather ie,name,DOB,etc. If you know the county he was living in at time of discharge,they may have his discharge papers on file,as Vets were encouraged to file them with the county clerk. Discharge papers are one of the best sources of information.Old letters can also narrow things down.
    The more info you provide us the more we can help you.
    Bob

3. Alison Holmquist

Alison Holmquist New Member

Hi Bob,
    I was not sure that the new recruits forum was the place to post specific enquiries. :)
    The grandfather in this post is Richard Lorden Healey DOB 7/25/14. Service number is 31153294. Date entered 10/9/42 date release 10/10/45. I have found clippings stating he was educated in aeronautics engineering in the US before being sent to England. He has an Army Air Corps patch donated to his local historical society.
    I will check with county clerk in his home county to see if a discharge paper had been filed.
    Thank you for that tip.
    Alison

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Hi Alison. Bob has given you some good advice. You're correct that the Introduction forum is not quite the right area for your post. I would suggest that you post in the What Granddad Did in the War forum. Use his name as the title and provide as much information as you can. Pictures of any documents or news clippings are particularly useful.

BTW, welcome to the forum. We have some really smart people here who are only too willing to help.

Full Name:
    Richard Healey

Social Security Number:

Birth Date:
    25 Jul 1914

Death Date:
    3 Jun 1986

Cause Of Death:
    Unknown

Organization Code:
    AF

Organization:
    Air Force

Branch:
    Air Force

Enlistment Date:
    9 Oct 1942

Release Date:
    10 Oct 1945

Conflict Period:
    World War II

Served For:
    United States of America

5. lwd

lwd Ace

Welcome aboard
    That sort of thing gets posted here often. The info request and research sub forums are probably best for additional request but you'll get a pretty good response here as well. This board is an excellent place for such queries as there are several people here who are real experts and very willing to help. It's also getting enough traffic of this sort that if you look around there's a chance someone may have already posted some relevant info.