Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Researching my Uncle's Service

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Gruff, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Gruff

Gruff New Member

Greetings all:

Just discovered this forum and decided to lurk no more. I’ve been impressed with the depth of knowledge and members’ willingness to share information.

My uncle was KIA on October 12, 1944. He is buried at the Henri-Chappelle American War Cemetery in Liege, Belgium. Here’s the limited data I have:

Name: Leonard W. LaMourie
    Service No.: 36152972
    2nd Armored Division, 67th Armored Regiment, 1st Battalion, Headquarters Company

I would appreciate any information regarding SSg LaMourie’s fellow company members, his function, unit information, etc. The date he fell would suggest that it occurred near Wurselen during the approach to Aachen.

In advance, thanks for taking the time to respond.

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    Tricky Dicky likes this.
  3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

The AARs for the 67th AR seem to put the 1st Bn in the vicinity of Waurichen, Germany at that time. I believe that I have the 67th AR unit history. I'll see if I can find anything in it that may be of interest.

Tricky Dicky likes this.
  4. Gruff

Gruff New Member

Much obliged. Appreciate anything that folks can pass along. Thinking about a trip to Belgium and Germany this summer to pay my respects.

Gruff

5. Buten42

Buten42 Member

The 67th AR history shows a Pvt. Bill Chambless from Headquarters Company killed by enemy artillery fire on 10/12/44 but nothing about SSGT La Mourie ( the roster in back shows it spelled without the final " e"--La Mouri). Wondering if he was wounded previous and died on the 12th.
    I checked back to 9/21 when they assulted the Siegfried Line but found nothing. I'll look a little deeper. My brother was in A Company, 1st Bn, 67.

Tricky Dicky likes this.
  6. TD-Tommy776

I found the same. The Casualty List for Muskegon County, Michigan has him listed as KIA rather than DOW.

If you're going to make a trip to Europe, I would suggest you consider hiring a researcher to get the Morning Reports for his Company. They will give you a pretty good idea of the route he traveled which might help you plan your trip. The MRs should also confirm the date and place (approximately) that he died, as well as confirm whether he was KIA or DOW (died of wounds). If you do go that route, I would suggest having the researcher also get his IDPF (Individual Deceased Personnel File). You can request it yourself, but the Government takes a ridiculously long time do it. I've been waiting for over a year for a request that was supposed to take "up to 48 weeks". That's what "free" gets you these days.

7. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Tommy, on that causality list it shows DNB, which I believe is Died Non Battle,
    What does FOD stand for? Thanks

8. TD-Tommy776

FOD is Finding of Death. Those whose status was Missing or Missing In Action for at least 12 months and were presumed to be dead had their status changed to FOD.

9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hello, welcome on this great forum !

10. Gruff

Gruff New Member

Hi Buten4
    Hoped that you'd check in. I've reviewed a number of your posts re: the 67th. I wondered about the possibility that SSg
    LaMourie was injured prior to 10/12. I'd really like to sort out what he did...

11. Gruff

Gruff New Member

Thanks TD-Tommy776. Appreciate the guidance!

12. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Gruff, I couldn't find anything more in the 67th History. I tend to believe the list that Tommy linked showing him KIA. I've read the History several times and when I downloaded the AAR's of the 67th Regiment they have a lot of similarities, meaning the AAR's is where the author of the history got most of his information. It appeared that on 10/12/44 the Regiment was in a rest and hold. There was still mortar and artillery fire on both sides but not a defined battle. Your uncle's death apparently didn't make it into the Regiment AAR's--I have no idea why Pvt. Chambless showed up in the history- maybe the author knew him. His death would certenly show up in Headquarters Company's morning reports. Since you know the date you can write NARA and ask for the morning reports for a few days before and a a few days after the 12th. Usually things don't get recorded on the exact date they should. I would also write for his IDBF file. Like Tommy said, it takes some time but usually contained some rewarding information. Stay tuned, I've got many books on the 2nd AD I'll poke through- if I find something I'll post.

13. TD-Tommy776

I agree with most of this. However, the NARA does not take requests for Morning Reports. You can go to Saint Louis yourself and copy them, or you can have someone do it for you. The latter usually means hiring a researcher.

14. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Thanks for catching that Tommy, saves Gruff some time and wasted effort. I know it was possible when I was doing research on a brother but time passes and things change.