Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Restoration help

Discussion in 'Other Militaria' started by David Cohen, Dec 13, 2009.

1. David Cohen

David Cohen Member

I am working removing the rust from my collection. The biggest ones is a first aid kit. Unfortunately, while removing the rust which is extensive, the paint is getting removed as well. The second one is a pistol web belt which is rusted at every metal point. That to also has extensive rust damage and rust staining of the fabric of the belt. Is there any way I can restore it after the rust is removed or is there any place I can send it to?

Thanks!

Dave

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

My understanding is that you don't try to remove rust and other signs of wear. However, you need to wait and talk to guys who know far more about this and deal with it on a regular basis.

3. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Taking rust off is often dangerous and destructive, excepting perhaps 'dug up' stuff. I'd say any artifact is what it is, rusty or worn though it may be. There's a big difference between preservation & restoration so it helps to be certain which path you want to follow. Restoration can so easily destroy period character if done even slightly clumsily.
    For purely display stuff I'd say preservation was the way forward. (There are even vehicle collectors that preserve running machines in the state they were found in, and often they look much more 'real' than beautifully restored examples.)

Think I'll put another plug in here for Renaissance wax:
    Renaissance Wax | www.picreator.co.uk
    It's what museums often use for protecting the delicate, or just holding back further decay. Repels fingerprints, is removable, and even makes a bit of rust look good, while helping stop things deteriorate any further.

From personal experience it's great stuff, delicate old display cameras, Bren guns, and assorted other precious things get a coating from me, all with no ill effects. And it stops dust and rust dead while generally improving the appearance of whatever it's slapped onto.
    A mate uses it on 16th century sword blades and it means they can be handled without the dreaded greasy fingers leaving any sort of mark at all, and normally you just have to touch old blades to pretty much destroy the patina.

Anyway, rambling on like a wax salesman... be careful what you scrape at ;).

~A

Slipdigit likes this.
  4. David Cohen

David Cohen Member

I found out the hard way that I have to be careful what I scrape at. Is there anyway I can get the first aid kit repainted with the right color and type of paint?

5. 107thcav

107thcav Member

Hey Von Poop thanks for the plug on Renaissance wax never heard of it before and bought some just a few minutes ago. Good sales job you ought to call them for a commision check.

6. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

I'm scared now. You'll find the one substance that it burns through like acid...
    :shifty:

Seriously though, I do rate it. The better half has a small pile of mediaeval metal knick-knacks, (knives, spoons, thimbles etc.) and since we used the stuff there they no longer rust as soon as you look at them.

~A

7. David Cohen

David Cohen Member

I've used vinegar (it works but it takes a while), sandpaper (same as vinegar) and water mixed with baking soda (works but took off the paint which I did not want). But is there any way I can get it repainted and have it look like it did before?

8. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

There's a variety of authenti-paint manufacturers out there, mostly serving the MV community:
    Military Paint - The Vintage Paint Company
    TM9 Ordnance Products - Paint for Vintage Vehicles and Equipment
    Military Paints
    etc.
    Don't know how small a quantity they'll supply - maybe worth checking with the reenactors, who might well pool resources to get smaller pots?

Or just get a sample matched at your local DIY store, lots of small paint companies can do it in the UK so I assume the US is no different?

~A

9. David Cohen

David Cohen Member

Thanks for the sites