Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Return of British troops post Dunkirk May/June 1940

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1939 - 1942' started by janmac, Mar 12, 2010.

1. janmac

janmac recruit

I am trying to find info on how the British Army regrouped and re-organized after the chaos of the return from France in late May and into June 1940 post Dunkirk. I am interested in info that relates to the efforts in England to deal with the returning men and most interested in personal or first hand accounts of what must have been a colossal mess after the evacuation.

For instance, I have found a reference stating that when they were returned some men simply walked away from the beaches of southern England and found their own way "home", which probably meant literally home in some cases, home barracks in others, and others were shipped to arenas like Wembley in London to be sorted out and then returned to their units.

Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Too much info exists mate....Many a written work out there detailing such personal stories, but if its orginisational stuff you require, try....Raising Churchills army.

3. phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking Member

IIRC The official war history of Southern Railways, "War On The Line" from late 18945 feaures some statisitics on the number of men the SR carried away from southern coast ports during DYNAMO, and details of the extent of the preparations made for this and the size of the operation..