Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Revenge, Reconstruction, Reconciliation

Discussion in 'Post War 1945-1955' started by GRW, Nov 7, 2011.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

"At the end of World War II, huge swaths of Europe and Asia had been reduced to ruins, borders were being redrawn, homecomings, expulsions, and burials were under way, and the massive efforts to rebuild had just begun. When the war began in the late 1930s, the world's population was approximately 2 billion. In less than a decade, the war between the nations of the Axis Powers and the Allies resulted in some 80 million deaths -- killing off about 4 percent of the whole world. Allied forces became occupiers, taking control of Germany, Japan, and much of the territory they had formerly ruled. Efforts were made to permanently dismantle their war-making abilities, as factories were destroyed and former leadership was removed or prosecuted. War Crimes trials took place in Europe and Asia, leading to many executions and prison sentences. Millions of Germans and Japanese were forcibly expelled from territory they formerly called home. Allied occupation and United Nations decisions led to many long-lasting problems in the future, including tensions that led to the creation of East and West Germany, divergent plans on the Korean Peninsula which led to the creation of North and South Korea -- and the Korean War in 1950, and the United Nations Partition Plan for Palestine which paved the way for Israel to declare its independence in 1948 and begin the continuing Arab-Israeli conflict.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/10/world-war-ii-after-the-war/100180/

2. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Dont know if its me Gordon...cant get that link to work mate.

3. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

won't work for me either.

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

It worked for me. That Horster pic is terrible, you can see the fear of death in his eyes.

5. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I was able to access the link. Hope others can get it to work. Amazing photographs and number 19 has to be my favorite. There are a few that would make great before and after shots.

6. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

its working now, amazing photos so far, my computer is taking forever to load them all.

7. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Seems to work ok now. Had problems posting it originally though.

8. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

Thanks for the posting.....it was an awesome collection of fine quality black and white photos that were easy to view on my meager computer screen.

9. urqh

Works ok now....24 for me. A picture can say more than a thousand words and excuses 66 years later.

10. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

Gosh urgh, watched your video and now would like to have one of those "half track motorcycle thingys" 1:06 seconds into the show......as I could use such in the mountains nearby and would certainly outclass trikes and 4 wheelers with uniqueness of design.....does anybody know more about this machine? Now why haven't I seen movies of such instead of the motorcycle with side car theme that seems to dominate comedic depictions of those times?

11. urqh

Could use one for the sheep over here. Instead of hitching up the trailers all the time.

12. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

Now you have done it............my imagination is full of sheep surrounding the "motorcycle half track" which you dismount with your shepherd dogs that arrive with you riding on the back when they dismount like you to keep the herd about you, while you commence to verify the numbers present as you complete your daily accounting of the herd. I now wonder if you might be a bit like me .....carnivorous in thought eyeing the young lambs to see how many meet USDA choice standards......but perhaps you might not be that as I have known some that raise sheep but eat mostly beef. Now when I count sheep to sleep......there may be a noisy half track moto fence jumper that causes wakefulness instead of sleep from sheep from the sheep pen.

13. urqh

Unfortunately....the Chinese get most of mine mate....Ones I send on holiday that is. But yep that combination would be perfect for picking up the dead ones too.