Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Review of 'Escape, Evasion and Revenge'

Discussion in 'Book Reviews' started by Ardent Escaper, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Ardent Escaper

Ardent Escaper Member

I am pleased to provide a link to a new academic review of my book:
    'Escape, Evasion and Revenge: The True Story of a German-Jewish RAF Pilot Who
    Bombed Berlin and Became a POW'.

It is the biography of the only German Jew known to have flown RAF bombers
    against his own country. As a refugee in London, he committed identity theft by
    stealing the name of a dead schoolmate in order to enlist on Sept 3/39. During
    his 18 months of training, he was the object of a Metropolitan Police manhunt
    as a potential enemy spy. Posted to 144 Squadron in April '41, he completed 22
    combat operations flying Hampdens. Detailed to bomb Berlin on Sept 7/41, his
    Hampden was damaged by flak and he force-landed near Amsterdam. As a POW in his
    own country for 3 years and 8 months, he was without any protection whatsoever
    under the Geneva Convention (he was still legally a German citizen). Making 8
    documented escape attempts, he got outside the wire on 3 separate occasions.
    When his escape exploits came to light after the war, he was one of only 69
    members of the RAF to be awarded the Military Cross.

The review was written by Dr. Jonathan Vance (author of 'A Gallant Company: The
    True Story of The Great Escape'), Distinguished University Professor in History
    at the University of Western Ontario. It is published in Volume 12, No. 4 of
    the Canadian Military Journal:

http://www.journal.forces.gc.ca/vol12/no4/page92-eng.asp

Any and all comments are welcome.

Marc

belasar likes this.
  2. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

What an exciting story to read....I hope the book has great success...I shall bring this up to my neighbor, Frank Farr, the next time I see him who was also a POW shot down over Germany. He has also written books about his life.

3. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Good fortune on you and your book.

4. Ardent Escaper

Ardent Escaper Member

I'm very pleased to advise that Escape, Evasion and Revenge is now available in both Kobo and Nook format.