Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Reviving lost websites ?

Discussion in 'Safe Harbor Initiative' started by Biak, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

Tony Wood & Jim Perry's Combat Claims & Casualties are one lost resource that are of HIGH interest to researchers.
    It would be dynamite if we could find an easy way to make these accessible.

At Tony Wood's Luftwaffe Combat Claims: http://www.ww2.dk/wood.html

[SIZE=medium]Allied Combats & Casualties[/SIZE]

"O.K.L. Fighter Claims : Chef für Ausz. und Dizsiplin Luftwaffen-Personalamt L.P. (A) V Films & Supplementary Claims from Lists
    :: West 1939-41, Issue 1
    These new claims gives all save the MEDITERRANEAN & RUSSIA to the end of 1941. I say ALL because that is all we have at present. There is no new stuff of the ZGs, NJGs and the SGs so far."
    These lists are my interpretations of "Allied Combats & Casualties" which were taken from the official RAF Fighter Command records held at PRO/Kew.
    The Lists or Tables give every Mission flown by Fighter Command, and later USAAF Fighter Command, from the end of the Battle of Britain [1.11.40] to the eve of the Invasion of Normandy [5.6.44] at present."

NOTE:
    - the url to his own website hosting the annual claims list is broken.
    See: https://web.archive.org/web/20070915000000*/http://www.lesbutler.ip3.co.uk/tony/tonywood.htm

Thank heavens for the https://archive.org/index.php
    (Results blocked by a fundraising drive pop up as of now)

I have all of his files but one word doc version (renamed into understandable link urls) saved at:
    https://www.dropbox.com/home/anthony_fred_shared

(Dropbox is under maintenance today.)

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

'Er now, what's all this then?

Otto likes this.
  3. Fred Wilson

http://lostaircraft.com/
    http://lostaircraft.com/database.php?lang=en

LostBombers.com is for sale. Finance This Domain: $2295 or 12 monthly payments of $192.

NOT archived at: https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://lostaircraft.com/
    ± because it is a HIGH tech modern English + Dutch + German Language Database based website recording ALL Bomber, Fighter Command,
    Coastal Command, Ferry Command, Naval Command, Transport Command, Tactical Airforce Command. Search and Rescue et cetera et cetera losses.

Airforce Losses already (for the most part fully) uploaded include USAAF, RAF, Luftwaffe, with work well under way with many others including
    SEAC, CBI, North African, Italian / Mediterranean, Finnish, FFA France , South African SAAF, New Zealand RNZAF, Australian RAAF.
    - Soon to include Greek, Romanian, Regia Aeronautica (Italian) Dutch, Soviet AND Japanese Aircraft Losses (given minor font adjustment implementation.)

Caveat being: We have to remove a few copyright infringements - so it would not go live on-line until the moderators get the dirty job done.

EDITED: (he who once was) Ghost GröFaZ. OK?

WW2Network Fundraiser and ww2f.com Social Party proposal [​IMG](Film Festival or...) popped back on the hard disk. Maybe this will surface again in a year or two.

4. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Fred. Nothing is established or been decided as yet. At this point no website other than web-birds is in the Safe Harbor queue. My primary focus right now is upgrading our server and moving this site from Invision Power to another platform. Right behind that is launching a new website at WW2.org. Nothing else is on my plate right now.

To date, I've never asked for a penny in donations or fundraising. We could certainly make good use of some income, but this decision to not accept donations was very deliberately made. When the time comes there will be an opportunity for members to donate, but it will only happen with full clarity and with a dedicated improvement plan in hand. Money will assuredly change the dynamic here, and I want to be sure that no one, ever, feels taken advantage of.

I'll be damned if any fundraising is done in my name without my 100% concent, and that issue is very much in doubt right now. If I'm going to decide on fundraising, I'll openly announce it. I won't do so by proxy.

And for God sakes my name isn't "Otto Bomb", it's Otto Torriero. I sometimes use that other name when I play online games, but Otto usually works just fine.

5. Otto

Just so people are aware, my previous post was directly addressing a few items that were in Fred's now edited post. The edits are such that the original context is gone and I now probably seem like a loon. I assure you my response was proportionate to the original post.

All I'll say is some very good things are in the pipeline here. I'll announce the plans and roadmap shortly.

6. Otto

I'm very tired of clicking links of great history sites and discovering they have become dead links. I'm looking to save as many as I am able.

We are moving forward with another efforts to create a very valuable resource at ww2.org. Details on this soon.

7. OpanaPointer

You're welcome to add anything from Hyperwar that you want, up to and including the whole shooting match. Our original mission was to get the docs out of the dusty boxes and folders and out where people could find them.

Biak, von Poop and Otto like this.
  8. Otto

Now that's fantastic news. I'll keep you updates of developements.

OpanaPointer likes this.
  9. OpanaPointer

Otto likes this.
  10. OpanaPointer

Otto likes this.
  11. OpanaPointer

Otto likes this.
  12. Otto

Thst link is broken, but I'll shoot you an email directly Opana, lets put some framework in place for making the info available, and we'll do what we can to get more people helping transcribe documents.

OpanaPointer likes this.
  13. OpanaPointer

14. Fred Wilson

15. O.M.A.

O.M.A. Active Member

Does anyone know what's going on over at WorldWarTwoZone.com? I'm a member there (different handle) and just visited after a long hiatus, it looks like it has been abandoned to spammers. There is a good amount of research there, and some great threads especially in the modelling area which I'm interested in.

16. Otto

I hear you OMA, their modelling sections is really quite good. That site has been on my radar the past couple weeks after a member of both sites (WW2F and the zone site) emailed me about it. I've made a couple overtures to admins, but without success. Hopefully they get things sorted. When WWII info gets lost into the ether, it frustrates me to no end.

17. David.W

David.W Active Member

Any luck in actually reviving any as yet?

Otto likes this.
  18. Otto

Yes.

Web-birds is still in the works. And a discussion board was folded into this one a couple years back. There was a modeling site called TRUX that is stored over at ww2talk. I'm currently trying to do what I can with another good discussion board, no success yet, but I'm very hopeful. Your question makes me realize that I do need to review our previous efforts and enumerate what we've done so far. Previous success is probably a good indicator that we can help others if they are in need.

The site rescue effort isn't a primary function here, but it will take on a greater profile once this website is migrated and upgraded. There is lot of work in the queue right now, but website rescue is a major part of what I'd like to do here.

19. David.W

David.W Active Member

Thanks.

BTW, I am following this topic but not getting any notifications.
    Last notification received 16th February 2016. Can you help?

Kind Regards,
    David.

Otto likes this.
  20. Otto

Hi David. We are moving to a new software platform in a month or so. It's not useful to make any configuration changes here in the short term as they will all be lost in short order. The best I can suggest at this point is to revisit after the software migration.

I see this topic has you interested, are there any sites you are interested in seeing restored? This effort is as much a proactive effort as it is a standing offer to website admins who could use help. I'm always willing and able to help admins keep their data online.

Discussion forums are of particular interest to me, I am currently trying to talk to a couple admins who appear to have lost interest I their sites. With any luck we can help preserve their legacies.