Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Rhodesian War Stories

Discussion in 'Military History' started by Otto, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Another nugget dredged from the cesspool that is YouTube.

A Rhodesian war veteran started a channel to collect a series of oral history sessions under the channel name
    Five Romeo Romeo. There are some 30 videos where he discusses all manner of operations and experience. The veteran doesn't really mention his name, nor get into too much detail on his unit, the 5th Battalion of the Rhodesia Regiment. His is however a great story teller and fantastically engaging. He often uses slang specific to the war, but somehow weaves the phrase into a context that makes it very understandable. He's a pleasure to listen to and a valuable resource for historians interested in the Rhodesian Bush War.

Here is a great sample of him:

GRW and ColHessler like this.
  2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Australia gets plenty of South African "refugees" - These are white folks driven out and/or over the danger that that area produces...we've had several "waves" over the years. I remember meeting a family in Nhulunbuy (east Arnhem Land - the other side of the top end from Darwin) - I was 9-10 at the time (circa 1980), the family was almost English upper class in their speech but from Rhodesia and were far more civilised than our family - I remember the little 7 year old walking up to me and put his hand out and said "how do you do" - I shook his hand and said "yeah...g'day".
    Most simply cross the ocean and settle in Perth these days...Perth, full of Poms and South Africans!