Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Richard Anderson

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by GRW, Sep 9, 2017.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Doesn't state it clearly, but he served in the US army during the war.
    "FOR a few years during the 1970s it was one of the most famous opening sequences on television.
    An experimental plane crashed, followed by scenes in an operating theatre as the pilot was put back together.
    Robotic limbs were fitted.
    And speaking over this was a man’s voice: “Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Steve Austin will be that man, better than he was before. Better. Stronger. Faster.”
    The series was The Six Million Dollar Man and the voice was that of his boss Oscar Goldman, played by Richard Anderson, who has died.
    Smart and dapper he was once described as having “the look of a man who was born in a Brooks Brothers three-piece suit” and Anderson found himself repeatedly playing the boss on film and television but rarely the lead.
    Anderson was born in Long Branch, New Jersey, into a family with a successful hat making business, although it suffered in the Great Depression.
    He would spend his time at the cinema in a bid to escape the financial pressures that beleaguered his family and started acting while still at high school.
    After a spell in the army he was chosen for a small role in John Steinbeck’s The Pearl before landing an MGM contract."
    Richard Anderson obituary - 1926 - 2017: American film and television actor

ColHessler likes this.
  2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

GRW likes this.
  3. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

FGS, how did I manage that?!
    Duly amended, and will spend the next months in sackcloth as penitence.
    Thanks for the heads-up.:cool:

4. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

I'm not dead yet.

George Patton likes this.
  5. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I have to admit I was a bit concerned that we had lost the infamous MacGyver! :eek:

I was a fan of the Six Million Dollar Man series, and do recall him from several other guest appearances on other shows. If this is his enlistment info, it is unlikely he served in combat having an enlistment date of 29 Dec 44. He may have seen Occupation duty in Germany or Japan, though.