Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Richard T. Meeks (ASN-20452456),30th Inf. Div.,30th Cav. Recon. Unit Jun.19,1922-Sep.13,2006-BS

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by CAW1, Apr 6, 2017.

1. CAW1

CAW1 Member

Richard T. Meeks (ASN-20452456) Final Army Rank Unknown. Meeks did have 4 years of high school, which put him in the top educational percentile among his peers. Most enlistees had only grammar school levels of education prior to the war.He's listed as an Actor/Artist on his NARA. You can't act your way into a Bronze Star. Artist? Maybe.

reconnEuro.jpg

----
    RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: River Rats and Tobacco Worms
    ----
    "Mr. Meeks was born in 1922, in Rockingham County to the late William Morris and Elizabeth Saunders Meeks. He was a veteran of World War II, having served in the 30th Infantry Division, 30th Calvary Reconnaissance Unit in the European Theater. He earned the Bronze Star for heroic action in combat in November of 1944. Upon returning to the U.S. after the war, he operated Meeks' Grocery with his family for several years. He was retired from the U.S. Postal Service after over 35 years of service."
    ----
    Richard Thomas "Jack" Meeks (1922 - 2006) - Find A Grave Memorial
    ----
    NARA - AAD - Display Full Records - Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, ca. 1938 - 1946 (Enlistment Records)

PFCstripe.jpg At least 234px-Combat_Infantry_Badge_svg.png 150px-Bronze_Star_medal.jpg AfricaMed1.jpg ACM.png VictoryMedalww2.jpg WWIIVictoryMed.png 30RSa.jpg untitled.png

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    Slipdigit likes this.
  2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

30 CRT. A great unit that I have a special fondness for.

See my avatar for that unit's DUI.

When I get home tonight, I might be able find what he did to earn the BS.

CAW1 likes this.
  3. Slipdigit

I published a book almost five years ago about that unit. Well actually a friend, Marion Sanford, who was a member of the 30th Recon. He died in 2015.

I don't have a firm date for the Bronze Star, but will go through the General Orders & AAR and see if I can find it. Info I have says he earned it for valor, so a V device is authorized for the ribbon.

Bronze Star details are usually brief in unit records.

He also earned a CIB, so he is eligible for a second BS.

CAW1 likes this.
  4. CAW1

CAW1 Member

Yeah, I usually let the old newspaper clippings and such confirm the BS' and "lesser" valor awards. I hate using the word "lesser" and valor in the same sentence. ;)

5. Slipdigit

I could not find him mentioned in the 30th ID General Orders. However, that does not mean much. All of GOs from Mid-January to May 1945 are missing.

The 30th CRT held a line north of Aachen the first two weeks of November between an engineer battalion to their left and 30th ID infantry to their right. If you want the unit designations, I can look them up. They were relieved 18 Nov, 1944 and relocated to Kerkrade for an extended R&R.

I visited the site where the 30th Recon was in early Nov 1944 when I was there in 2014. It is now a housing subdivision.

6. CAW1

CAW1 Member

I'd like to ride around in my "Hood" in a Greyhound CV. I could image it with joy. 20mm traffic control :)

7. Slipdigit

I'd like to drive one, too.

The M8 had a 37mm main gun. Rest of the armament were .30 and .50 cals.