Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Rio - 2016 Olympics

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Poppy, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Watched Canadian women win vs AU in soccer - congrats... We played most of the game 1 man down...Looks like the women may be in contention for gold here.
    There were some exciting well played moments, and some "wow- this is terrible" moments.

Today watched women's rugby. All 3 games were complete blow outs. Shows there just isn't enough competition in womens rugby for it to be entertaining (to the average fan).
    Canada won though (over Japan), congrats to them.

Mens 400 swimming- was interesting. Spain had been disqualified for early start...could see buddy was devastated. He cried his way into the shower area...only to be brought back because a judge said there was an error on their part...still don't understand what happened there.

2. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Woo Hoo- Canada just scored (again) against Zimbabwe in Women's soccer.

In other news- see that a US woman won games first gold in (wait for it)- shooting. Great news.

3. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Poppy, I was pulling for the Canadian women, especially playing one man down. But am fond of AU too. You must have some tough gals watching them play rugby.

The judges ruled for a restart in that swimming event as the decibel level from shouting and noise making made it impossible to hear the start

I was impressed with the young American 10 Meter air rifle Gold metal winner. A big upset as the Chinese were heavily favored

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/olympics/teen-shooter-wins-usas-first-gold-medal-of-games/ar-BBvjYLS?li=BBnb7Kz

I collected 10 M air rifles, vintage ones, not like that great piece of technology she shoots. Mine were from the 50's and 60's and found them on the internet in Germany.....from the fire blue and walnut era. But it gave me a deep interest in 10M shooting . After 10 years a guy offered to buy them all 67 at that time, I was ecstatic. Had a great hobby for 10n years and broke even after keeping three of them. Did get three from Canada.

Great having the Olympics to watch.

Gaines

4. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Thanks Gaines.
    Knew you'd be pleased with Gold result, considering your experience.

Had to convince my son to watch women's soccer over women's beach volley ball. ..was a good choice.

5. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Women's swimming - 4x100- Canadian Bronze.
    Cheers ladies

6. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Australia early lead on medal count...2 Gold one bronze...

7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Well done to the USA women's rugby 7s team...Australia not only undefeated but no one had even scored against us...The US came out firing, almost knocking out one of our stars, then putting on two tries! We managed a draw at the death...good sign for the future for US rugby...

8. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

(Double post)

9. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

See the USA won the 400 meter relay. Nice to see a little redemption after the close one last olympics

10. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Can't find a decent medal count site...Last i could find- Aug 6
    China- 1 silver, 3 bronze
    USA -1 gold, 1 silver
    South Korea- 1 gold, 2 silver- wait this must be wrong...Anyone have a good current medal count site without having to stop most security browser features?
    http://www.sbnation.com/2016/8/6/12393552/olympics-medal-count-2016-rio-united-states-gold-china

Au does seem to be doing well. Won over Canadian women rugby.
    Was great to see Canada men beat USA in volleyball...The crowd seemed to be all for Canada, which may have played a big part in our win.

11. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Who's our friend? Just :google: the phrase "rio olympics medal count".

12. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I've read the the US is the defending Olympic rugby champ from 1924, the last year that rugby was an Olympic game. Not sure if that's exactly true or not, but that's what the talking heads were babbling about on opening day. Had to be a bunch of college boys for the US team that year. Rugby is not played much here in the US these days. Mostly it is played at the intramural level in colleges. LSU has a good rugby team this past season, and they play other teams in the SEC and smaller colleges in the region. They had to forfeit the last several games of the season last year due to the entire team being caught breaking training at a local keg party off campus. Dang kids.

13. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

And just gave the US a scare in the basketball...small game here...maybe see you again in the final??

14. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

My son and I have gone to Vegas to watch the sevens, I highly recommend it to any rugby fan as it is a great time. Naturally the friendship and competitive attitudes of the Canadian and Americans help make it fun for we North Americans. As per usual the Kiwis, Aussies, Fijians and Samoans are the class of the show.

KTK

CAC likes this.
  15. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Cheers TD. I use duck duck go. It sometimes has no response to some searches, which is why i couldn't find a decent site quickly.
    I try (like a mouse giving the finger to the hawk) to avoid anything google, facebook. ..they are one of todays problems concerning censorship.
    Enjoyed watching rugby. It doesn't come close to NFL in regards to (TV) entertainment (my opinionated opinion). Games are too short, game is too simple...better (to watch) than baseball or soccer though.
    It'd be fun to watch an NFL team play against rugby, then the rugby team play against NFL.

16. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

That was 7s rugby Pops...REAL rugby has more people, set moves bigger scrums and line outs...you didn't see 6 men push another 6 men totalling more than a tonne for example...7s is a bastardised version, like touch with tackling...or 20/20 cricket...far from the real game. Australia took the gold off the Kiwis...now, rugby is the Kiwis national game, they live and breath that Sh.t...so you can imagine how they felt when we won the first ever Olympic tournament...! Pissed much? We also snatched gold off them in the woman's trap shooting...pissed much? Haha...pissing off Kiwis is an Australian national sport...

17. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Yeah you are right. Wondered where the big scrumms were. ..Someone had a little blood, and 'e comes out wearing a diaper on 'is 'ed. ..i kid...weird seeing them on cheap lawn chairs serving their penalties, side by side.. ..We have penalty boxes where the savages can't reach each other.
    Noticed boxing has no head gear this year. Great- maybe, possibly, Oly boxing could be entertaining. ..Again- a little blood above the eye- they paused the fight to have emergency personnel take care of the tragedy (meanwhile bloodied guy catches his breath).

If MMA was recognized, the Olys' might actually make money.

Looks like AU is doing pretty well. ..Canadian women are winning the day.

18. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Interesting that after the US , the UK was second in medals before China. Congrats!

19. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

So long as no drugs were involved...Britain finishing second is AWESOME! Very impressed with that effort...
    Australia didn't do nearly as well as we wanted...we wanted to finish 5th or 6th...instead we made 10th. With us being only the 52nd most populace nation that's still a great effort, but we expect more...The BMX was a good example Heat 1 : Australia 1st Heat 2: Australia 1st Heat 3: Australia 1st - Final: Australia 7th! WTF!? A gambling thing??

20. OhneGewehr

OhneGewehr New Member

Number of medals is not important.
    There is only one medal in basketball but about 100 in air rifle shooting with closed eyes and one leg in the air.

I don't know why the nationalities are important at all for the Games. Were there nationalities in the old greek games?
    Ok, team sports, there must be some kind of team building.