Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Robert Rogge; PVT Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Highlanders (CA); MSGT USAF (Ret)

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by PattieThomas, Dec 19, 2007.

1. PattieThomas

PattieThomas Member

http://www.bradfordera.com/obituaries/

SMETHPORT — Robert E. Rogge, 85, of 302 E. Main St., died Friday (Dec. 14, 2007) in Altoona Hospital.
    He was born Dec. 27, 1921, in Pittsburgh. He was a graduate of Sewickley High, class of 1939. He enlisted in the Canadian Army in August of 1941 and served with Black Watch & Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlander regiments. He was a veteran of the Dieppe Raid and the Normandy invasion on Juno Beach on June 6, 1944. He was honorably discharged from the Canadian Army and enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Corps in 1946. He flew on missions during the Korean War with the U.S. Fifth Air Force. He retired from the U.S. Air Force in 1968.
    Mr. Rogge was employed as a writer for The Bradford Era from 1968 to 1970 and the Warren Times Mirror & Observer from 1970 to 1972. He accepted a civil service position as a writer-editor for military publications in Southern California. He transferred to Washington, D.C., and later to Fort Knox, Ky., where he retired. He returned to Smethport in 2001.
    He had a master’s degree in history and was an author of two books and many articles for military and historical publications.
    Surviving are his wife of 57 years, Frances Patricia Duffy, and their four
    children, Roberta Ann (Robert) Antonucci, Patricia Ann (John) Thomas, Roderick Elliot Rogge and Margaret Elizabeth (Thomas) Rogge-Shepherd; two granddaughters, Mollie Erin Thomas and Laura Michelle Antonucci; and a step grandson, Paul Antonucci.
    A memorial service will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at St. Elizabeth’s Catholic
    Church of Smethport.
    In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to Hamlin Library or the McKean County Historical Society.

2. DDuffy123

DDuffy123 recruit

Pattie: Hello. My deepest sympathy and compassion for Unlce Bob as I new him. I heard from my mother who called me. My last conversation with your Dad was at our house in Smethport about 6 years ago or so. We had a great talk about the Military and the Army. I had just enlisted and was asking him about his experiences. He was a great conversationlist. My memories of him will always be fond ones. He will be very much missed by all who had the pleasure of talking with him. Tell Aunt Pat I miss her and send my love. I just happened to run into your posting by an internet search. It is a small world. I am currently reading his book and absolutely love it. Can not put it down. He was very talented. We loved to visit Ft. Knox and he and Rod would take us around and we would see the Patton Musuem. It was fun. Take care and sorry for your loss.

Daniel Duffy.

3. Jeff Stephan

Jeff Stephan New Member

Found this in the estate of a WWII AAF Vet.

Attached Files: