Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Robin Lumsden

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by Panzerknacker, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker New Member

Has been accused of being a Nazi! It came to some officers attention at his police headquarters where he is a well-respected member of teh Constabulary-and the media blew it out proportion!

This evolves from the media's view last year of Lumsden's licence plate: N5DAP-Which bears more than a striking resemblence to NSDAP-initials of the Nazi party----why can't people just calm down???

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I never cease to be amazed....
    As time passes, the power ( and misinformation ) surrounding the Third Reich seems to increase in Joe Public's mind.
    For instance, I have a lot of books. Among them are books by David Irving. People visit my house, see these books, and that's it ....you can see them thinking,'He MUST be a Nazi !'. Regardless that every book about the Irving trial sits right alongside them on the shelf.... :rolleyes:

3. Bish OBE

Bish OBE Member

Tell me about it. Being in the army, i go away alot. And of course i usually take along some books, often ones relating to WW2, as well as my collection of German music. And even though i've never given out any sign that i might be racsist or anti-semetic, i to get those odd looks.

And worse of all, those who are racsist thing i am one of them. The number of times some idiot has drawn a swastika or an SS isignia on my wagon is unbelievable. But no matter how often i say something, they just don't get it.

4. Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker New Member

Bsically-i can never forgive teh Nazis for what they did-but being interested in their history, and teh history surrounding WW2 is fine-why then are humans so intolerant and so close-minded of these interests?
    It annoys me to no end...and Bish, isn't that a criminal offence within the military-let's see how funny those guys think why they are when they are being court-martialled-hehehe-joking of course...

5. Bish OBE

Bish OBE Member

If you mean the displaying of Nazi images, then i guess it is. But most treat it as a joke. But i guess i am a bit more sensative to it than most.

Personally, i would love to have the 1st SS Pz badge on the back of my Warrior, but i know how people can be offended.

6. Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker New Member

what is the 1st SS PzDiv badge?

7. Martin Bull

Wasn't the Div. sign a skeleton key in a shield ( a 'dietrich' in German ) ?

8. Stevin

Stevin Ace

euh...who is Robin Lumdsen?

And I agree with you all; I am researching WW2 for over 16 years. Only the last few years also the German side. But when I talk to people about it I can feel their apprehension. 'Why is he interested in nazis?' I feel there is still a lot of ignorance about the subject. I was once just as ignorant but actually studying the German side showed me a whole different perspective.

But when I see friends/family scan my bookshelves and come across the German and SS titles, I see the doubt/misunderstanding in their eyes....

9. Bish OBE

Bish OBE Member

Correct. And later the Oakleaves were put under the shield.

10. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Tell me about it! I have been called a nazi all the time, even HERE!!!!

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hello Stevin, Robin Lumsden wrote a book on German medals and Badges called: "Detecting the Fakes" and for years it was THE BOOK to have when it came to collecting german militaria. It was his attempt (and not too bad of one for the time it was done) to have a book on comparing known fakes with real badges, but unfortunately--alot of the badges he has used to compare with the crude fakes--were just better fakes. His book does have a few bits of good info in it, but for the most part--the book is useless. The crude fakes he showe as good fakes in his book, are so rarely encountered these days, and the people making fakes and passing them off as real--mainly only vend the excellent quality fakes--not the onew that are made of lead or brittle white metal. People are wise to the early tricks at "testing" the validity of an award, by putting pressure on both sides of the award to see if it bends because as lead bends very easily, or simply snaps--as white metal does very easily.

Lumsden did try to make a great collectors book (it was the first I ever bought) but--with what I have now--I probably would never touch it again--except maybe to dust the cover off.

Since this book was done--Lumsden updated it and published it again and with a few better photos--still the end result is almost the same as his first attempt--and has Zero Added Value. He cant be blamed for many of the mistakes--as he got many of them from a British militaria dealer named jamie cross--who has been known to sell fakes as the real items after he knowingly knew they were fakes. He shafted me on something that cost me $450.00, and refuses to make amends on it. He also used to have a banner on the Wehrmacht-awards forums--but6 was kicked off and lost the respect of all who are a part of these forums. In other words--he lost a lot of his customer base--BECAUSE of his dishonesty. He also still pawns fakes.

12. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Thanks Carl! And also thanks for your crash course in German medals!

13. Martin Bull

I'll second that - thanks for the tips Carl.

Wow - I think I'll stick to guns and bits of old aircraft ! :rolleyes:

14. sommecourt

sommecourt Member

Just to add my 2d. :rolleyes:

A couple of years ago the tour company I operate battlefield tours for contacted me to draw up a tour going from Arnhem to Berlin, looking at the final months of the war. It needed a catchy title. I came up with 'Road to the Reich'. Great says the tour company, but no deal - we can't run around in Germany with a big notice on the front of the coach announcing a "Reich" tour, everyone would think we were a bunch of Nazis...

Oh well...

15. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Well, I hope I could be like my grandfather. I have mentioned him quite a lot in this place. But I did not say that he was an enthusiastic about the regime. Well, he was a kid and fortunately, never joined the NSDAP. But these days (since some five years) he started wearing a NSDAP ring. Why? If he wasn't a member? Why if he suffered quite a lot for the war that the regime provoked? I don't know. Acoording to his version, he wears it to show the people that he is not ashamed of his country or about what it was.

He confuses me sometimes... :confused:

And by the way, talking about medals. He is going to purchase a particular one. He is bloody unsane because he is going to spend A LOT of money on it. He is going to purchase one of 800 special awards of Germany during WWII. Guess :D !

16. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Quite welcome Stevin and Martin. Now we have a little collectors community going here :D

PS, Stevin--I hope you get that WK1 Silver Wound Badge and those WMC with and without swords. Thw WMc is a nice touch to a collection at any rate. ;)

17. Andreas Seidel

Andreas Seidel Member

Even though it's rare, I have never been called a Nazi by anyone, despite the fact that many people know I am interested in war and WW2. I'm not really sure what the reason is. Sometimes I suppose the suggestion would be ridiculous, seeing that I like working in a multi-ethnic environment. It makes no sense to call someone a Nazi if he's there with a friend who comes from the deepest central Africa! [​IMG]

18. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

When Susanne and I were checking into our hotel rooms for that evening (we were in Bad Homburg) she of course was into conversation with the hotel manager who had asked: "What brought her this way and what was this Ami doing with her?"

She explained (in Deutsch of course) that we were touring Germany and were going to visit a few outdoor ships museums. She explained that we had met with 10 vets from U 181, in Bad Camberg--about 20 minutes drive from Franfurt.

She said we were on our way to see Horst Bredow at the Uboat Archiv in Altenbruch. This jerk then loudly called Susanne a nazi, to which I glared at him with as furious of a look as I could then muster. (Remember--I USED to be a Correctional Officer) needless to say--the guy shut his mouth and threw the keys to Susanne and also shied away from me. (I had never met a German I disliked--till then)

Next day--he was also in charge of serving breakfast (you had to get a ticket for it as tables were all reserved) and he just looked at me and I glared back at him. Later--when we checked out--he handed me a card which was to offer a service rating etc for his hotel--I was VERY strained to give him good marks--which I did.