Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Rome: Total War

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Mussolini, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Hey

Was wondering if anyone has it? I do...havent played it in a while since my laptop died but its got a new hard-drive and all now so i can reinstall it.

Pretty awesome game (believe it was used by the History Channel too) and i plan on getting the Barbarian Invasion Expansion Pack...graphic wise it is definately the best game in the Total War Series (Shogun, Medieval) and theres an awesome mod (lots of mods, but Total Realism is the best) which expands the map, provides more accurate starting positions and units, adds some new units, changes the skins of some, and makes the game a lot more enjoyable.

Just thought i'd start up a topic.

2. Heartland

Heartland Member

I do, and I love it along with Total Realism 6.0. Never really dug into Roman history before this, but RTW along with Adrian Goldsworthy's great book on the Punic Wars has gotten me started. Never really realized just how well documented some of the battles (like Cannae) are.

The Total Realism mod really makes the experience a lot better for me, getting rid of the silly factions within Rome, expanding the map and making the production and development of units a bit more true to form. As usual I have started out as the Romans and is steamrolling all before me. Will soon try out a more underdog type of nation/citystate for a better challange... :D

3. Bish OBE

Bish OBE Member

Ye, i have it. Been playing it not stop for a couple of months. But i haven't got any of the Mods. Any recomendations.

Heartland, you should try Adrians other books. So far i think he has written 9 books on Rome. I have 4 of them, but not the one you mention, and i'm deffinatly planning on getting the rest.

4. Heartland

Heartland Member

I really like Rome Total Realism v6.0:
    http://www.rometotalrealism.com/

It clocks in at 300MB and features:
    - Seventeen fully playable factions
    - Two hundred new historically accurate army units
    - Totally revamped combat stastics system
    - Auxiliary area of recruitment mechanic
    - Graphical overhaul of the front end
    - Introduction video, faction elimination videos
    - Redesigned campaign map
    - Classical soundtrack conceived by a professional composer.
    - Twelve new custom battle locations

Yup, have one more by him, "Roman Warfare" I believe, and plan on getting more. Definitely get "The Punic Wars", it's very well written. It also includes a rather interesting discourse on the pros and cons of various sources.

5. Bish OBE

Bish OBE Member

Ye, got that one, also In the Name of Rome, The Complete Roman Army and The Fall of Carthage. One other book on Rome i would recommend if you have'nt got it already is by B.H. Liddell Hart. Scipio Africanus: Greater than Napoleon.

One question on the Mod. Would it affect any saved games i already have. Thanks.

6. Mussolini

That is a good question - i am not entirely sure. Though i dont think you will be playing those saved games once you see how great the mod is. It will prove to be a lot more challenging and more 'Realistic' in many aspects. it gets rid of a few units and adds some new ones, changes the look of a few others too. I just pre-ordered the Expansion (cant wait to play as some of those Barbarian Factions and sack Rome!) and hope to get my laptop when i go back to check in a few minutes - it said it got delivered today.

7. Stevin

Stevin Ace

I play it at a friends house/PC and it is great! Absolutely love it.

8. Mussolini

I pre-ordered the Expansion (Barbarian Invasion) from Amazon, so am still waiting its arrival. Would have been easier and quicker if i had waited and got it from EBGames...argh!