Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Russian Navy "On Verge of Collapse"

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by GRW, Jan 19, 2015.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Food for thought.
    "The Kremlin has announced that Russia will hugely boost its naval operations in 2015.
    But that’s an empty promise—or threat, if you will. In fact, the Russian fleet is on the edge of a precipitous decline in ship numbers and combat power, owing to huge industrial shortfalls that have been decades in the making.
    “As for missions of Russian naval ships, there will be 50 percent more of them than in 2013,” Gen. Valery Gerasimov, chief of the Russian general staff, told a TV audience in December.
    But Gerasimov’s vow belies a bleak future for the Russian navy. Even if the fleet is busier in 2015 than it was in 2013, in coming years it will have fewer and fewer ships to be busy with—and those that remain will be progressively smaller and weaker than rival vessels."
    https://medium.com/war-is-boring/the-russian-navy-is-on-the-verge-of-collapse-b0ce344ebf96

rkline56 likes this.
  2. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Might go back to the collapse of the ruble. Does anyone know if the conflict in the Ukraine is costing Russia a lot economically and industrially?

3. belasar

belasar Court Jester

The Conflict, as well as the collapse of Oil and Gas prices are really starting to hurt, but I am not sure if this is not simply a resurrection of a long term story. I can recall seeing more than a decade ago the images of nuclear boats rusting and sinking in Russian naval bases along with the comment that the 'end is near'

On a related note, the US is also facing this as well. Saw a report that the proposed SSBNX replacements for the Ohio class 'boomer' subs could be a budget buster for the Navy. Also that in overall term the navy continues to shrink in numbers.

4. phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking Member

Russian industry was moribund LONG before the present rouble crisis. A whopping 85% of Russia's "exports" are oil and gas to the rest of the world...paying for the HUGE levels of imports from around the world. One of the reasons why the Russians were paying the French to build to helicopter carriers/assault ships for them...which now won't be delivered ;)

5. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

The Rouble has gone down 49% in value ( to dollar?) in 2014. Also the main product i.e. oil is now under 50 dollars a barrel when it was 114 dollars a barrel before the Ukraine incident. Putin mentioned early 2014 I think that there will be a massive rebuilding programme of the Army but two months ago I read it was cancelled. The Russsian main bank has put hundredrs of millions of dollars worth to increase the value of Rouble but has not succeeded. So as long as the oil price goes down, as the Arabs have promised not to lower the oil production figures, there is no money for Putin to use and the people get less and less for their money. I just read that even the Norwegians have shut down 15 oil rigs because it is not woth pumping oil.

Putin´s tv propaganda so far has conviced the people that it is the EU and USA that must be blamed for all the problems but one day the propaganda might not work anymore...

6. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

interesting reading from all...thanks for your input....

7. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Well they've been talking a lot about their new cruise missile with 1500 km+ range, plus the new subs that will carry them.

8. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Don't tell RAM about the impending Rooskie's Naval demise. He'll have a stroke.

9. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Can their shipbuilders keep up with the ever increasing boat tech?

10. lwd

lwd Ace

Didn't we have someone on another thread recently saying everything was great in Russia today? :)

11. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

They had a cruise missile testing for some 5-7 years during which hundreds of missiles fell to the ground almost instantly. I recall at least three changes of the general in charge of missile development. Wonder how true it is in the end.

12. phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking Member

The Arabs won't cut production in a hurry...and it's got nothing to do with the Russians and various embargoes on them over the Ukraine kerfuffle. It's because bringing down the price of oil robs ISIS of the revenue it gets from the oil facilities they've taken ;) So the falling price of oil is on a different timetable/schedule to anything the Russians can handle/compensate/quantitatively ease for.

It's interesting to hear little things like Putin and the Kremlin "bigging up" domestic food production and goods...knowing that all they're really doing is trying to compensate for the sudden absence on Russian shelves of all the European goodies they've gotten used to ;) I'm sure that Russian parmesan cheese is nowhere near as good as Italian, for example....LMAO The Russians are probably looking at some REAL shortages by the summer though; it take a while for agriculture and domestic production to refocus on replacing so many products.

Vlad needs to realise that there's just so many problems that can be sorted by taking your shirt off in front of a television camera...

13. Bundesluftwaffe

Bundesluftwaffe New Member

Sanctions on Russia will probably (hopefully) liftet or eased soon, as the EU suffers too much from it (esp. Germany,Austria & Italy I heard). Russia will not suffer from it, Russian people are used to hardship, this is harmless for them.

The French pres also opted for a more neutral stance reg. Russia (he also wants to deliver some warships and don´t let the French shipyards go bankrupt and all the workers laid off, so clearly in interest of his country).

Btw. The Russian navy was suffering a lot, but lets be honest it isn´t needed anymore like in the cold war. Airforce and anti air is of much more importance for Russia. And a small but well trained groundforce. Under Putin Russia recovered quite a bit, compared to the more corrupt and alcoholic leaders they had before him.

Also I would bet the ruble will live longer than the Euro :p

14. phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking Member

The French aren't actually THAT worried about delivering/not delivering them....and the effects on French workers....'cos the things are almost complete, after all! "Their work is done"...

The Russians aren't THAT used to hardship; the Cold War, and its traditionally empty supermarket shelves is actually nearly a generation gone, after all. The Russians aren't used to hardship and shortages BECAUSE they've been buying what they want from Europe and the rest of the world!

Sloniksp likes this.
  15. Bundesluftwaffe

You live in Russia ?`Interesting, how is it over there ? So you mean your countrmen arent used to harder times anymore.

Well the EU needs to export goods esp. the bankrupt countries, so if Russia can not buy these goods - the economy will suffer in the EU (and it was already bad, before stupid sanctions)

Well if the things are complete and they will not be delivered who pays for them ?

16. lwd

lwd Ace

I strongly suspect you are in a very small minority here with that opinion.

I've certainly seen nothing to indicate that the EU is suffering any where near as badly from the sanctions as the Russians especially with the price of oil dropping like it is. By the way the sanctions are aimed more at the "upper crust" and government than they are at the people. It's also rather easy to get "unused" to hardship.

From what I've read they are having problems with the air and ground components as well.

17. phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking Member

Which bankrupt EU countries would that be? None are bankrupt yet.

18. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Pi, is that true? Thought OPEC was trying to crush the US's new fracking output. As well as our Oilsands...Would be pleasantly surprised if OPEC reduced pricing in order to hurt ISIS.
    How hard would it be to send cruise missiles and destroy every ISIS oil facility. And why aren't we doing it?

19. Bundesluftwaffe

Most are practical bankrupt cause the amount of debt cannot be repaid. As first of course Greece. Thought that would be common knowledge. Btw. you are Russian or not ? You seem to know so much about them....

@ LWD: Well here I may be in minority but in other forums you would be probably in a minority if you think sanctions and confrontation with Russia were a prudent and/or justified. These are mostly (German lagnuage) forums regarding investing/economy etc. Also I see your location is "Michigan" where in the EU is that, if I may ask. Funny how people from other countries seem to know more then those that actually live in these countries and have certain "insider" knowledge of course too. If they aren´t dumb and blind I mean.
    Germany should be the last country too offend Russia, rather like the mayority wants to work peacefully together with it. Sadly certain politicians are "Volksveräter" (betrayers of the people) here. Maybe USA guys view this different, but they are far away and safe. Also do not trade with Russia much anyway.

Eg. See how high Putin is regarded alsothey laugh with him, in the highest Austrian chamber of commerce:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPbuGUVCqXg

20. Takao

Takao Ace

Amazing how attitudes change when you shoot down an airliner.
    http://www.thelocal.at/20140902/austrian-chancellor-slams-putins-aggression

Cadillac likes this.