Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Russian View of the Air War

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe' started by Martin Bull, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Concerning my earlier musings about the Reich Defence, I've just reached Chapter VI of Lipfert's book, and it's interesting that he says that in May 1944....

'...a Staffel was to be detached to the Reich Defense. We knew all too well that it was a virtual death sentence for anyone who had to move to the Reich......I would have flown against the Mustangs and bombers and would probably have shot some down. But the outcome of this affair was predictable. Everyone who flew in the Reich was 'burned' soomer or later. The same thing could happen any day against the Russians, but here there was a much better chance of getting home again in one piece...' ( Lipfert/Girbig, pp. 113/114. )

2. Jack Russell

Jack Russell Member

Hello Martin,

It's time I read Lipfert's Diary myself once more !!
    His statement is very 'on topic'and clear, point taken! But I keep wondering, he was an Experte, would the same statement hold up for the normal/ average Luftwaffe pilot ?
    Have you reached some conclusions yourself yet ?
    Tip :
    Luftwaffe Fighter Ace, From the Eastern Front to the Defense of the Homeland, by Norbert Hannig, Grubstreet,2004

3. TA152

TA152 Ace

4. bigiceman

bigiceman Member

TA152, I will have to say that is the most interesting airplane that I have seen in quite a while. I wish I could see it without the fancy paint job so I could make out the way it looked better.

5. TA152

TA152 Ace

I was surfing and found this site with the IL-2 captured by the Germans and it said it was not liked by the Germans or Finns but did not go into any detail. Just said it was used for ground target practice.

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/il-2.html

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Not sure but I suppose the problem with getting spare parts must be one of the reasons why Finnish Air Force did not use IL-2 if they captured any. I have not read of any planes being used by us.

However we did use some Pe-2´s for reconnaissance for their speed.