Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Rust....Useful Objects for the Home

Discussion in 'Battlefield Relics' started by Martin Bull, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

My visit to Beltring always produces a cheap but strange WWII object ; last year it was the Luftwaffe 'cherry dish' and this year a chunk of shell from a regular Finnish dealer.It's very heavy indeed......

[​IMG]

Well, I'm sure it will clean up nicely and has many potential uses.....er, paperweight ? Anyhow, it was only £3 so it didn't exactly break the bank account ;)

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Did the dealer have any idea where this is from?

3. Martin Bull

No - his friend was doing the selling and didn't know much. Everything on the stand had been recovered or dug-up from 'the Eastern Front...':confused:

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Ok!

I suppose- if the seller was a Finn - that this is from the Karelian front where in several places you can find truly huge pieces in the ground. Many Finns visit those battle places with mine detector equipment. Great find anyway!

5. Martin Bull

Thanks, Kai - I have just measured it ( as the shell is broken exactly in half ; can't think why I didn't do it before ) and it is exactly 105mm/10.5cm in diameter......

6. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I remember that bowl, it was full of cherries! :cherries:

This rusty shell casing is quite a nice pick-up as well. A nice conversation piece and you can turn it into a research project if you ever try to identify what type of weapon it is from.

7. Martin Bull

Kai, you were correct - I asked the guy yesterday, and most of his battlefield relics are indeed from the area of Karelia.....

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Martin I am coming onto this late, but did you per chance find the mm of the shell ?

yep heavy thing , my Scheklappen piece is terribly heavy around 25 pounds of 5mm steel plate fitted on the fuselage sides of the heavy armored Fw 190A-8/R2, in the case it is from 5.Sturm/JG 4. gotta find a place for it on the wall but it might just pull away, paint, sheet-rock and all .......hmmmmmmmmm what to do........

E `

9. Martin Bull

Hello Erich

Yes, it's 10.5cm and on my return visit to Beltring I checked out some complete shells on the stalls : this one, from it's shape and size, appears to be from a 10.5cm le FH18 field howitzer or similar......