979 graves: 630 British, 21 Canadian, 1 Australian, 1 Polish, 326 German The village of Ryes is situated a few kilometres from the Landing Beaches in the GOLD sector and the artificial port of Arromanches where the men of 50th British Division landed on 6th June 1944. The cemetery at Bazenville was set up two days after the Landings. Laid out on a plot below road-level from which it is bounded by a hedge-row of box and distanced by an area of lawn, the cemetery is in full view. The entrance on the road side is flanked by a trimmed hedge of Beech, in the centre of which is a double entrance in a low stone wall. On each side of the Cross of Sacrifice, are pergolas entwined with Wisteria, Honeysuckle, Roses and Virginia-creeper. Magnificent clumps of Lavender border the alley, which runs crosswise, leading to two small visitors' halls. The head-stones are arranged symmetrically on either side of the alleys. The German graves at the far end are detached from the rest.