Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Saburo Sakai

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Peppy, Sep 30, 2000.

1. Peppy

Peppy Idi Admin

I caught the tail end of a news report on Tv that said Saburo Sakai died. Are they talking about the WWII Japanese fighter ace?

2. Otto

Otto Rested & Resupplied with MREs. Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Yes they were.

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Im very rusty on my C.B.I. Theatre stuff. Wasnt he the Chap that lead the raid on Pearl Harbor? if he was, he also later became a priest.

4. Ron

Ron Member

I've read alot about the pacific war but yet have never heard of "C.B.I" what does it stand for? I always thought the pacific theater was called the "P.T.O" (Pacific Theater of Operations)

5. Otto

Otto Rested & Resupplied with MREs. Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

It stands for "China-Burma-India", and it was more commonly used by the British to describe the Asian war. "PTO" is more commonly used by Americans.

6. Ron

Ron Member

oh...never knew that one!...lol learn something new everyday! thanks ;)

7. Rodrigo

Rodrigo Member

8. Popeyesays

Popeyesays Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by C.Evans:
    Im very rusty on my C.B.I. Theatre stuff. Wasnt he the Chap that lead the raid on Pearl Harbor? if he was, he also later became a priest.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, he had nothing to do with the CBI. He was a Naval NCO pilot. He served in China before the war, scoring his first four kills flying the "Claude" against Russians.
    He served in the major offensive operations of the early war, against the Philipines and later the Dutch East Indies. He also served in the famous "Lae WIng" based on the northern coast of New GUinea where he racked up dozens of kills against U.S. pilots. He was wounded in action opposing the Guadalcanal landings. He was very seriously shot up, losing an eye. He had to fly back to the base with a hideous head injury for 1500 miles.

He recuperated and served as a test pilot evaluating the George and Jack fighter types. He also flew in the naval fighter group on Iwo Jima where he was alone in the sky against more than 50 Hellcats and flew so well that in fifteen minutes of combat against those odds he never took a bullet hole (nor had time to fire his guns either). He scored a handful of kills against the B 29 offensive and may have scored the last kill of the war.
    But, no he never served in the China - Burnma - India theater which was mostly a Japanese Army Air Force operation after the initial invasion of Malaysia and the fall of Singapore.