Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Sailor X-99 Comes Home

Discussion in 'The War at Sea' started by Hoosier phpbb3, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Hoosier phpbb3

Hoosier phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    After 65 years, Alfred E. Livingston, Fireman 3rd class on the USS Oklahoma finally came home to Worthington, Indiana. (Located in neighboring Greene County... about 30 minutes from my home.) His body was recovered near the remains of the USS Arizona and identified by a letter and number: X-99.
    He was initially buried in the National Memorial Cemetary of the Pacific in Hawaii with a grave-marker that read "Unknown." In June of this year, his family was notified that Livingston had been identified and that his remains would be sent home to Worthington. He was reburied with great fanfare on Saturday, July 21. Hundreds attended the ceremony.
    -----------------------------
    "Paul Goodyear of Phoenix is a member of the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association. He was on the USS Oklahoma when the torpedoes hit. "I happen to be alive because I was on the signal-bridge."
    He said the remains of 380 USS Oklahoma sailors are still unidentified. "It's kind of disturbing to us that we've only had just this one," he said referring to Saturdays' burial. "There are 380 other families out there as anxious to have their loved one brought home as this family was."
    --From Sunday Herald-Times, July 22, 2007

Tim

2. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Very cool.

3. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    This is good to hear.It's incredible that after so many years,there is still something new to write about WWII.