Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"Sally B"

Discussion in 'Military History' started by Erich, May 29, 2005.

1. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

this is Englands only flying B-17 ? heard this morn that the B-17 is now grounded due to insurance risks. Any of our English friends further enlighten us on this ?

E

2. TA152

TA152 Ace

Martin had alittle about it under WWII Today, BBMF Lancaster, May 16th post.
    The same insurance problems seem to be grounding the Vulcan project.
    I hope this does not happen in this country. The price of gas is steep enough, they don't need more expenses to put on an airshow.

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

This whole episode has caused fury, and not just amongst history buffs and aviation enthusiasts.

Basically - as I understand it - the EU has introduced new Insurance Regulations for privately-owned aircraft, based on their size and the likely 3rd-party claims if they were to crash.

Therefore, aircraft such as 'Sally B' ( and also France's 'Pink Lady' B-17 ) will now cost the same for the owners to insure as, say, a Boeing 737 will cost British Airways.

And so they're effectively grounded.

The 'brilliant minds' among the unelected bureaucrats in Brussels now admit that they 'didn't consider' that warbirds such as 'Sally B's flying hours can be counted in the tens-per-year, whereas the 737 can of course be counted in thousands..... [​IMG] :rolleyes:

Naturally, the Insurance companies involved weren't going to object......a little more cash always comes in handy.

As a direct result, 'Sally B' will be unable to fly over the US Cemetery at Madingley on May 30th to honour the fallen of the USAAF, a duty which it has faithfully carried out for the last 30 years.

And this in the 60th Anniversary of the end of WWII in which so many young men fought and died so far from home in these aircraft to bring about 'Peace in Europe'.

This whole disgusting affair makes me so angry I can literally see red.

4. Stevin

Stevin Ace

I saw a documentary on Discovery channel about thi svery subject the other day. they said that all this started with the crash of three planes and the death of four pilots during or around the Biggin Hill air show in 2003.

One guy said it cost about 1.000.000 GBP to restore one particular spitfire, 10.000 GBP a year top maintain it and 40.000 in insurance!

All about the new regulations, etc. why, how....pretty depressing form a enthousiast point of view. Also a bit about the men who fly these planes nowadays. Practially all test pilots.

They also showed the vulcan they are restoring and one is apparently flying already. The Vulcan people are convinced they can raise the 2,2 million needed fo rthe restoration, but then.... :eek: [​IMG]

Still a big [​IMG] for trying!

5. Martin Bull

That would sound about right for Discovery channel. It was 2001, not 2003, and three fatalites in two aircraft..... :rolleyes:

Tragic, yes, but the crashes happened well away from habitation/crowds and were single-engined aircraft, whereas if Sally B loses an engine, there are three stil lto go.

No, this is a load of bureaucratic b*******s. [​IMG] :mad:

6. Stevin

Stevin Ace

I agree Martin.... True, Biggin Hill was 2001 and there two planes crashed. Another crashed shortly after that. I should have been more specific. My bad. Was a shock to see that Vampire go down. Then later a p-38, I believe.

In any case, it remains less and less likely that we'll see these birds were they belong; in the air..

BTW Martin, June 17th (was it, right!?) is still on!?

7. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Hasn't something been done in the short term by Richard Branson? I seem to remember reading that he has paid for Sally B's insurance up until the end of the season or something similar?

8. Martin Bull

Virgin Atlantic have made a special deal with an Insurance Underwriter to provide three months' liability cover starting July 1st. This will enable Sally B to take part in Flying Legends this weekend and also the Victory Flypast, plus a number of other appearances.

So the long-term problem still remains. Additionally, French authorities have done an about-turn over B-17 Pink Lady which may now not be able to attend Legends..... :rolleyes: