Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Salutes, I miss them

Discussion in 'Counter-Battery Fire' started by Ken The Kanuck, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

One of the things I enjoyed was being able to give another poster a salute for a very interesting or informative post.

I am sure many are like me, that is "enjoyers" rather than "providers".

Those who go through a lot of effort and work to provide for we enjoyers should be thanked and salutes were an easy way of doing so.

Do you think that salutes might come back? Or am I just missing the salute button?

Thanks,

KTK

sunny971 likes this.
  2. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Hi Ken,

not a Salute-Button but an "Add tothe Reputation"-Button is the little star down left, directly right of the "Blog this Post" Button. I too hope that the old Salute button will come back!

Ken The Kanuck and Spartanroller like this.
  3. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

Maybe before you overlooked the previous hard to find 'add to reputation' button Ken - the other alternative route to salutes to marking good posts. For sure the current sherrif's badge button is harder to spot than before but I think the soon to come new skin will sort this out?

4. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Not all the plugins on the old server work on the new server. A little patience while things get updated and reworked might do everyone good. Give it a week and we'll see whats back.

mikebatzel likes this.
  5. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

Thanks guys I did see the star nor the triangle and if I had I wouldn't of known what they were for. It will be nice to thank folks for their hardwork providing so much of interest.

KTK

6. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

Agree, a salute icon, would have been easier to see, it ken..

7. sunny971

sunny971 Ace

I agree too, the salute was a great thing, especially for newer members.. When I was newer, I found that recieving or giving a salute encouraged me to want to visit the forum more often. It does no harm to anyone. i find it only encourages more site visits, especially with new members.

Reputaion is great but sometimes it's nice that others can see an appreaction for a great post. I know the forum is still a work in progress, but I know there are some out there who would rather get rid of the salutes and medals. But I want to make sure I get my opinion out as well.

8. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Ditto

OF course the "Salute" button made it easier to show support/ Agree/ echo without being a post harlot and having to actually type a response

9. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I'd give ya' all a salute but well, you know. I do agree, seeing a salute lets others know the recipient must have done at least a few things right. And Suzie makes a great point; getting one makes you want to try that much harder. The Medals, Salutes and Rep's were one of the more 'noticeable' things on the site when I first saw it and hope they stay around.

sniper1946 likes this.
  10. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

How about a smoosh button? ..Any Jersey shore fans? Not me but a friend told me about it. Grenades and everything.

11. sunny971

sunny971 Ace

well i'm not really sure what or who your refering to. i guess i'm blind to what happens here, but regardless i liked giving a well deserved salute to a well deserved post. And vise versa. Anyway, like I stated it's just my opinion....it don't count for much

sniper1946 likes this.
  12. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

What about a support "Otto" for the good work button? I'm sure the salutes will be added again. To be honest they are something to make the forum user friendly, but there other priorities. Currently Otto is working on he very essence of the forum and get the whole thing back to work before adding the details. As Mussolini siad, give it a week or maybe two.

13. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

what did the old system allow you to do? I mean if you saluted a member, how many times were you able to at any one time, and how many salutes/reps do you have to place elsewhere? before you can give again to same member..just curious ....be nice to know, please...

14. PizzaDevil

PizzaDevil Member

You could only Salute 2 times a day if I remember correctly..

15. formerjughead

Ditto

16. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I agree. The salutes, reps, and medals are nice add-ons, but the site should be focused on the quality of information. After all the trouble we have had, Otto deserves a huge thank you for fixing them and making the site a better place. Looks like none of us is comfortable with change. Suck it up folks, it could be worse.

17. formerjughead

Ditto

18. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

I second that!

formerjughead likes this.
  19. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

it's a shame some of you don't see the wider picture? many members here, liked the old salutes/rep system, why change the format? that shows members are able to approve posts in the method they prefer to use..

20. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

The format is not being changed, it's just needs time to fix everything. it doesn't really matter unless one's post account or reputation matters more than anything else. In my case I'd rather have an uptodate excellent reputation with Mrs Skipper rather than in my virtual space. Besides if Otto had chosen to enable the details first, you'd all still be waiting for the forum to be accessible at all. Just you all be patient, Rome was made in a day.

kerrd5 likes this.