Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

'Schoenheit der Arbeit' - Nazi chic......

Discussion in 'Other Militaria' started by Martin Bull, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Just as I was despairing of finding anything worth buying at the Beltring Fair yesterday, I came across a ( sadly chipped ) coffee cup and saucer (but it only cost me £5...) : -

[​IMG]

On the bases are the Swastika-in-cogwhel mark and slogan : 'Modell des Amts : Scoenheit der Arbeit' -

[​IMG]

This goes with the fork which I already have ; -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

'Schoenheit der Arbeit' ( 'Beauty - or Perfection - through Work' ) was an office attached to the 'Strength Through Joy' organization ( the Nazis loved their slogans :rolleyes: ) and was established to approve the style of civil production items to fall in with the 'official line' on creating a clean, modern, utilitarian 'Nazi style' and to render all types of 'decadent art' obsolete.

It's an interesting little sideline in WWII militaria - anyone else have any ?

sunny971, C.Evans and Kai-Petri like this.
  2. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Only 5 pounds? Not bad eh? These days that translates to about $7.50 or so USD... ;-)) Id have been happy to pay that price for two items even if they are not Military items per se ;-))

4. Martin Bull

Very pleased indeed to get this at Beltring. It's a large (A3-sized) catalogue for a 1938 MDASDA exhibition. Really superb condition with a fine colour cover.....

[​IMG]

Inside are pages and pages of original German industry advertisiements and photos of German factories, suitably decorated...

[​IMG]

The dealer charged me £8 and I didn't feel at all 'robbed'..........:cool:

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

How come I missed this fine thread, great cup and saucer, I have a large coctail plate that goes with it , it is divided in several compartments. It has the same RAD symbol but it is kaki instead of green

6. Martin Bull

Two more items I picked up at Beltring : a plate with rather nice 'MDASDA' markings...

[​IMG]

...and a MDASDA bowl with the Reichsbahn logo and 'RBD Saarbrucken' mark....

[​IMG]

When I got home I checked out the 'RBD' marking - it stands for ReichsBahnDirektion : these were the regional control centres for the railways and Saarbrucken was one of them.

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Goodies Martin That Kurt Angelé obviously has some French ancestry.

8. Martin Bull

I'm guessing they must have been a distributor/wholesaler...Bauscher Weiden was ( and remains in business today ) one of Germany's biggest manufacturers of hotel porcelain.

9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Highly probable, same for Saarland and Saarbrücken. Saargemünd also. (today Sarreguemines, Lorraine) It was a manufacturer for the Kaiser and they have been making some fine porcelaine until the 2000s.

10. Martin Bull

Another nice addition to my little SdA collection - a Rosenthal soup-bowl....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and now I'm trying to find out which company's canteen it came from.........:confused: