Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Sci fi Capital ships

Discussion in 'The Members Lounge' started by Siberian Black, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    It doesn't. You can't turbo-charge a laser. But it "sounds" cool... this is Hollywood :D

2. Man

Man New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Right, here's my capital ship:

The Mighty Mouse

Armor: Unpenetrable iridium hull with turbostrengthened molecular binding force generators interspersed regularly 3000x.

Weapons: Turbolaser9900XXX with 460 trillion megawatts of energy per bolt. 4 rounds per minute.

Drive system: Ion fusion thermonuclear condensed core reactor (more HP than your mind can fathom)

Top speed: 100x the speed of light

Approxamite dimensions: 1000 x 1000 x 10 meters

I have you all beat.

:cool:

3. Blaster

Blaster New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Okay, 3100 crew. And Zable Fahr idea of naming the weapons are awesome. A Thunder Axe superlaser for the Atlantis sounds great. But, other names are gonna' have to wait until I think of them. And, I'll name the fighters too.
    The Atlantis carries:
    1000 Blader standard fighters
    350 Kaiser heavy fighters
    150 Space Knight gunships
    250 Sky Storm flying fortresses
    68 Shadow stealth fighters
    182 Talisman torpedo bombers
    And Panzerman, you are getting unfair here. An impenetrable hull is cheating, right, Siberian?

4. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    It might have an impenetrable hull but it'll still die when facing my ship - that fires whole planets at light speed at a rate of 300 per minute :D

5. Ossian phpbb3

Ossian phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2

A bit out of place, methinks!
    [​IMG]

6. Zable Fahr

Zable Fahr New Member

This red charnel pit of primal horror, howling bla
    via TanksinWW2
    Linux my friend, Linux

@Blaster: well, i only stole the names from Total Annihilation units and buildings :D
    but thanks anyway ;)

7. Siberian Black

Siberian Black New Member

via TanksinWW2
    :eek: you guys are good.

Just to clear some things up.
    Techically no hull is inpenitrable (and irriduim weighs a lot compared to steel. this would reduce top speed - making Warp 100 impossible- adn she would founder in a gravity well making attacks dangerous)

Turbolaser- the main defensive/offensive weapon of ships within the Star Wars Universe. Poor defence against snubfighter such as the X-wing, but still dangerous should the gunners score a hit.

ion core reactor- who cares? it can't possible be more out there than the Fusion core (which makes use of matter generators and antimatter)

I think were on the verge of buiding the ultamite fleet (cower in your hole Emperer Palpitine)

BTW if you think the stuff we have so far is dangerous a friend has a ship (type thing) that can render a planet uninhabital in minutes (without destoyring it) Using nothing bigger than a proton torpedo (say 500cm long)

8. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    As far as I can tell, 'turbo' is widely used to simply mean 'improved performance', or even just 'a more powerful version of...'

One of my favourite silly starships was a universe where warship shields were impenetrable to the offensive weapons. However, this mean that you also could not fire unless you dropped your shield. But as soon as you dropped your shield & fired, you would be fired on (& destroyed, unless your enemy has slow reactions). But your mates would shoot the guys who fired at you... and so on.

Sensible people would note that battles will be lost by whoever fires first (unless they have a big numerical advantage), or they would end up as boring stalemates. But this was oddly not the case in the book. Eventually some bright spark re-invented ramming, which broke the cycle.

:roll:

9. Ossian phpbb3

Ossian phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The enemy are in sight!

OK, just let me recompile the kernel....

10. Man

Man New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Weight does not matter in outer space. There is no air resistance or gravity. Why shouldn't my hull be inpenetrable? Throughout history, there have been vehicles that have been inpenetrable for other vehicles. :D

11. Ossian phpbb3

Ossian phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    But there is momentum / kinetic energy

Unless you have an inertialess drive, it will take energy to accelerate / decelerate your ship so mass does become important.

Anyway, inpenetrable just means the other guys havent found the right weapon yet :D

12. Siberian Black

via TanksinWW2
    Gravity wells (Hint: the moon ios in Earth's) otherwise everything would tarvel in a straight line forever (assumg it didn't hit anything/one) And as always Neuton thre laws of Phyisics still apply. true one could (in very vague theory) accelerate to Warp 100, but it would take a long time and they might as well forget about slowing down or changing direction. Gravity also so create resistance. (besides, the lighter you can build it the cheaper it is :D )

Actually come to think of it true weightlessness doesn't occur untill one travel past the Moon. any closer and your acctually in freefall.

13. Ossian phpbb3

Ossian phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    ?????

Absolute Rubbish!
    Please find a basic physics book and understand that "weightlessness" is another way of referring to being in "free fall"

Unless you still follow Aristotelean Physics

14. Blaster

Blaster New Member

via TanksinWW2
    An impenetrable hull is still unfair, Panzerman, so take it out!!!!!! Cheater.
    Okay, no Barracudas. Instead, there are 182 Talisman torpedo bombers aboard my ship. Don't tell me Talisman's been taken too.

15. Ossian phpbb3

Ossian phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Uh Huh....

[​IMG]
    OK, its a UUV so you might get away with it....
    Could you please explain how a torpedo bomber works in a space environment?

16. Zable Fahr

Zable Fahr New Member

This red charnel pit of primal horror, howling bla
    via TanksinWW2
    torpedo bombers work like the X-Wing's in Star Wars, but carry more (and bigger!) torpedoes

17. Man

Man New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Oh ok, mine is only penetrable when hit simultaneously by 179 suicide bombers in Talisman craft.

18. Blaster

Blaster New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well, at least you actually got a weakness. 179 suicide bombers. I can do that. I'll just reconfigure 179 of my 182 Talisman bombers into remotely piloted drones, so no human life will be lost. Then I'll crash them into your hull. I know not all will make it, so I'll back them up with my own fighters and my weaponry. If all else fails, a Time On Target should finish the job.
    But, yes, this is fair enough, now let's see what other ships are waiting in the wings, shall we?

19. Siberian Black

via TanksinWW2
    Another of my insanely overkill designs the Curtis

12X superlasers (each 150% powerful as Death Star 1)
    and a bunch of turbolasers (I think)

about half the size of the Commissioner. She's obviously not built by humans...in fact little is known of her actual builders.

20. Blaster

Blaster New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Hey Siberian, maybe you could revise those insanely overkill ideas? 'Cause if you don't I'm gonna' be forced to go overkill too. I mean, 12 superlasers? Unless the Curtis has extra-thin armor than that is way too overboard for words. Heck, even with extra-thin armor that is overboard. Too overboard.