Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Science fiction AFVs

Discussion in 'The Members Lounge' started by corpcasselbury, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    In tunnel fights those heavy mgs with the motion sensor seemed to work wonders for 'area denial'. Basically if the sensor detected motion within a set distance, it blasted it.
    Great until the ammo ran out, and as the guns tended to be set on 20-round bursts (in the books anyway) that didn't take long!

Ok, how about AFVs vs Predators?

I would guess that some form of detection device would be necessary...

2. Gatsby phpbb3

Gatsby phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well, perhaps...

But on second thought the whole battle is supposed to be humanity's last stand, isn't it? 1000 streaking missiles actually make sense after all. Let me explain: The dock sequence was supposed to portray the utter helplessness of the humans. The ideal "last stand vs. machines" scene IMO would have been one that could really disturb the viewer. The whole point is that the humans should not stand any chance whatsoever. These are doomed men fighting a war which they cannot win. The opening sequences in the Terminator movies (all of them) get this idea across quite well, although the humans in the terminator universe aren't exactly done for. Show machines viciously blasting apart human resistance with a shower of missiles before moving in for the kill. Show mechs (minus the armour to emphasize the "unsafe" feeling) tumbling off those bridges and walkways as they get blown to pieces while sentinels fly in tear apart those still standing. Make the mechs shoot at the sentinels, but don't make them tear them apart so easily. The humans aren't supposed to stand a chance. The machines overrun the human defenses quickly, latching on to those gun turrets and prying them apart with laser cutters as the gunners scream in terror while sentinel arms reach in and impale them. The whole sequence has to be short and vicious. Screams, gore and bug-like sentinels enhance the effect. Its supposed to freak you out. What the movie gave us was essentially a CGI-enhanced version of space invaders.

3. Frans phpbb3

Frans phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Slowing down AT-ATs

Hey guys,

One more thing about possible tactics concerning counter-strategies for AT-ATs; how about taking the tractor beam projectors of the Nebulon-B frigates the Rebellion most certainly has, and concealing them (the tractor beam projectors that is) inside a mountain or something. I don't have the specs of the projectors available, but I reckon they, with a big enough power source, should suffice to literally pull the AT-AT's over. Should be pretty fast too, so by the time the Imperials figure out 'what tha hell' is happening to them, most of the walkers are down.

Damn roel, major-general, doeje goed :D .

4. corpcasselbury

corpcasselbury New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I mentioned awhile back the tanks of David Drake's "Hammer's Slammers" series of novels.

5. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yes, sorry corp.
    I only did a quick list of those I remembered...

So - good & bad points of Drake's tanks?

6. Ebar

Ebar New Member

On a space station in geosynchronous orbit above y
    via TanksinWW2
    Perhaps the Bolos of Keith Laumer's writing should be taken as the ultimate war machines. Below is a sample I found.

7. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    :eek:

Whoever mentioned that Denise Richards should get a place in a ship to look pretty should take another good look at the movie... One, she's not pretty, and two, she should not be allowed to distract anyone on a mission of planetary importance. :D

Has anyone of you ever heard of the Goalkeeper device? This is a Dutch weapon, a six-barreled grenade launcher that fires 4200 grenades per minute. It is used to intercept missiles at close range when all other measures are too slow to deal with the threat. Now how's THAT facing the swarms of bugs! :D

=> Frans: hell yeah baby! :D

8. Ebar

Ebar New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I think it could be said that we all agree that with a bit of artillary lots and lots of heavy rapid fire weapon in an open field engagement bugs will merely be targets. You have to however be ready for when the do get it close. Its the only range they can do any damage so they will get in occasionally. However if tanks can hose down each other down and airburst grenades over themselves this isn't a problem.

Just had a thought. The Human Government in Starship troopers appears to a be a fascist one maybe the dim tactics, pap weapons and generally thick behavior are deliberate. Using the war to get rid of the people who are surplus to requirements. Hmm... they all appeared be be Americans :D

9. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I was thinking maybe the Starship infantry itself could handle the lucky few that got through the steel ocean. After all they're no longer facing a genuine swarm, but rather a few wounded stragglers, if our weapon systems work as expected. By the way, did you notice how the effectiveness of the assault rifle on the bugs increased continuously during the movie? Early in the action they could fire their weapons all they wanted without any effect, but later on they could kill bugs with single shots. This was NOT due to technological developments or the spotting of weaknesses though... :D
    Careful there Ebar.

10. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Roel, when you're older, you will understand...
    ;) :D ;) :D

Well, there was that great instructional video telling the troops to aim for the central bit, not the extremities.

11. Ebar

Ebar New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I honestly don't see the point in using infantry for anything other than tunnel fighting. The bugs don't appear to have any proper AT elements so why provide them with something they can kill if you don't have to?

Which bring us on to...
    I only make the observation

12. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    It's true - even those who were from Rio de Janero (spelling!) were American (as in USA, not as in from the American continents!).

Ah well, that's Hollywood for you!

Or maybe they were foretelling a day when American culture has taken over the world to such an extent that everybody is 'American'...

13. Ebar

Ebar New Member

via TanksinWW2
    even in the future its a case of America wins the war. Probably find the British had all ready been fighting the bugs for a couple of years :D.

I'M JOKING, I'M JOKING!

14. Notmi

Notmi New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Actually, its seven-barreled cannon, GAU-8/A. http://www.warships1.com/Weapons/WNNeth_30mm_Goalkeeper.htm

15. Danyel Phelps

Danyel Phelps Active Member

via TanksinWW2
    1: Its carryin 40 men pluss support personel and Speeder bikes.
    2: Your AT-AT ditch is non-existant.

16. corpcasselbury

corpcasselbury New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I have Mr. Drake's own words about his tanks at home. I will post that here as soon as I can.

17. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Infantry has a better view of things wih the fact that they can look in all directions; they immediately recognize the threat of anything coming from beneath; and they can more readily handle single survivors than the AFVs we're using here with their massive, powerful automatic weapons. They are more or less the flexible factor, the fodder used to close gaps and smoothen irregularities, so to speak.

And Ricky, what little I understand about female appeal just doesn't apply to Denise Richards... :D

18. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Fine - she's all mine them!

19. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Ugh - go ahead, but keep it out of my sight! :D

20. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    This truely is the tasteless generation! :D