Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Scotland's "Most Complete Coastal Battery

Discussion in 'Military History' started by GRW, Jan 28, 2019.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Helped record the WW1 remains of this for the Home Front Legacy project. Amazed how much of it still stands.
    "A forgotten Highland military base used during both world wars could finally be declared a “nationally important monument” and opened up to the public.
    Commissioned by Winston Churchill in 1913, the South Sutor forts have been described by heritage chiefs as “the most complete surviving coast battery within Scotland”.
    But despite its huge historical significance, many of the gun emplacements and associated buildings have fallen into disrepair and been shut off from public view behind padlocked gates for decades.
    After repeated demands for action to preserve the site for future generations, The Press and Journal can today reveal that Historic Environment Scotland (HES) is finally poised to designate the naval defence complex as a scheduled monument."
    www.ww2f.com/forums/military-history.91/create-thread

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Some evocative photos here : -

Subterranea Britannica: Fort South Sutor, Cromarty

- for those of us who can't make the trip.

It's heartening to see some recognition for a coastal battery - so many remains have vanished. This one reminds me of many happy hours spent ( decades ago ) exploring the similar installation at Harwich in East Anglia.

GRW and lwd like this.
  3. lwd

lwd Ace

Reminds me quite a bit of Ft Columbia. Not to surprising though.

4. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Yes, you don't realise how extensive these places were, Martin. All coastal batteries had their rear areas defended; in WW1 that usuallly meant a system of blockhouses and fire trenches. But North and South Sutor had a line of trenches right across the peninsula from shore to shore to thwart a rearward landing. I think I'm right in saying there's a small remnant of trench behind this battery at one of the farms.