Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Seaforths in North Africa - 1943

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by cmcderment, Oct 27, 2014.

1. cmcderment

cmcderment New Member

I'm looking to fill a couple of gaps in my father's WW2 record. Alastair Harper McKillop, born 11.11.1913, joined London Scottish on 28 February 1940, number 2884859, trained as an officer and transferred to the Seaforths in the November.

He was a Lieutenant in the 6th Seaforths and I don't know what he was doing between February and November 1943. Can anyone help me?

He arrived in Iraq in November 1942 and after a time at 39 Rest Camp, was posted to 6th Battalion in February 1943.

In November 1943 he was posted to Headquarters 87 Sub Area Aleppo as Camp Commandant where he remained until March 1944 when he returned to the 6th Battalion and was posted to Italy where he was captured in May 1944.

The gap is therefore between February and November 1943.

I have one report form my aunt, who was nursing out in North Africa at the time, (I don't know where - perhaps Egypt?) that he suddenly appeared with five or six other men, out of the desert, had a meal and then disappeared back into the desert.
    I also know that my uncle was with the RAF, (33 Squadron) stationed first at Benina and then at Bersis, in 1943, and that all three of them met at one point. I even have photos.

So I would love to know where my father might have been that year and doing what, and therefore how and where they might have met.

I do hope someone can suggest some answers.......

Thanks in advance
    Christine

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

We do have some members located on the East side of the Pond (i.e. Lesley, who you've already met in your new member post). Hopefully, one of them will stop by with some help. You may also want to post this over at our sister forum, WW2Talk.com which has more of a Commonwealth emphasis. I wish you well in your search.

4jonboy likes this.
  3. cmcderment

cmcderment New Member

Hi there, TD Tommy,
    Thanks for your welcome.
    When you say East of the Pond, I assume you mean the UK, and yet you refer me to a website with "more of a Commonwealth emphasis". Is this WW2Talk.com more likely to unearth facts about a British soldier / airman etc than this one here? If so, I shall post there post-haste.

4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Sorry. I sometimes try to be too clever with my words. Yes, the WW2Talk forum is more likely to have more information for you. However, there are many members here that are also members on that forum. Keep a watch on this thread, but also post your inquiry over there as well.

5. cmcderment

cmcderment New Member

OK, thanks. I shall do that.

6. 4jonboy

4jonboy Active Member

Hi Christine

You say you have your father's service record. Can you post it here, or alternatively, join our sister site as T D Tommy says - it is more of a Commonwealth knowledge base there. I am sure there are members who will probably help you fill in the gaps you are looking for.

Hope to see you on the other side :)

Lesley

7. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Welcome Christine. There are some great suggestions here, I hope you will keep us informed of your progress.

8. sonofacameron

sonofacameron Member

6th Seaforth moved from Iran to Egypt, January 1943. When the invasion of Sicily took place on 10th July, 1943, the battalion was among the assault troops. They took part in the capture of Syracuse and Augusta, in the operations on the Simento river and the Catania plain, and the capture of Catania.
    On 3rd September 1943, the 5th Division crossed the straits of Messina and landed in Italy, 17 Brigade including 6th Seaforth, was the assault brigade, and met little trouble during the landing and subsequent advance.
    During October and November there was stiff opposition from German rearguards at Isernia. In November 1943, 6th Seaforth moved to the Adriatic front near Ortona.

9. cmcderment

cmcderment New Member

Thanks, Sonofacameron, that does help fill in some of the gap. I didn't know they had gone to Egypt, but it makes perfect sense, and that is probably therefore where the three siblings met. Although it does mean that he went from Iraq to Egypt, to Italy, back to Irag and then back to Italy.
    I shall continue my research.....

10. Drew5233

Drew5233 Member

Hi Christine,

The 6 Battalion has a war diary covering the period you are interested in which is held at the National Archives in London. Being your man was an officer he should be reasonably well documented as far as officers go compared to Other Ranks in it.

WO 169/10293 6 Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs, The Duke of Albany's) 1943 Jan.- Dec.

If London is too big a trip for you give me a shout, I photograph war diaries at 10p per page.

Cheers
    Andy

11. cmcderment

cmcderment New Member

Hi, Andy, thanks for the offer. I shall think about that and may take you up on it.
    I got most of the rest of what I have from Kew but somehow missed that one.
    I'm planning a trip down south in December, but may not have time to go to Kew. I'll let you know.
    Christine

12. Drew5233

Drew5233 Member

No problem - Just drop me a pm if you need any help. I go to Kew a couple of times a month.

Cheers
    Andy