Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Secrecy and the modern military

Discussion in 'Non-World War 2 History' started by Ebar, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Ebar

Ebar New Member

On a space station in geosynchronous orbit above y
    via TanksinWW2
    Secrecy is of course and necessity for any military force in the field. Allowing enemies or potential enemies to know your position and limitation can cost lives.

But, is all secrecy justified?

Be it the Pentagon, M.O.D. or whoever, the military has the great advantage over other departments that it can claim national security, plus for anyone in uniform to spill the beans is a no, no. But is this right? Is political embarrassment justification for keeping things like, friendly fire and hospital scandal, out of the public eye or should the military fess up its blunders.

Anyone any thoughts?

2. FNG phpbb3

FNG phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I think they should fess up their blunders however I do not think they should be held as liable in the civil courts as they currently are.

I think that the military should look after there troops to a very high degree and where death or injury is caused to them by what ever means then they should be fully compensated and looked after.

As to civilian casulties these should again be compensated where some negligence is found especially where some negligence can be held against the military forces involved.

Witch hunts are not good for the miliary but secrecy would allow them to hide mistakes and not have to lean by them.

FNG

3. Hoosier phpbb3

Hoosier phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    In regards to the Walter Reed Hospital scandal... top Generals' heads are already rolling. That is public knowledge.
    Fratricide, or friendly-fire is sometimes unavoidable in the noise, smoke and confusion that constitutes a major battle/war. It is something all militaries attempt to minimize or eliminate completely... but mistakes can and do happen.
    Keep in mind that soldiers die in peacetime service as well. Navy pilots routinely take-off from carriers never to be seen again. Navy subs disappear--USS Thresher--and accidents that result in great loss of life such as the fire aboard USS Forrestal in '67.
    As a rule, I believe democracies are much more apt to be forthcoming than communist countries such as ex USSR, China or North Korea... to admit their mistakes, and confess their shortcomings in public.

Tim

4. sinissa

sinissa New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I just waited to somebody mention ex communist block,tipicaly :D

5. Hoosier phpbb3

Hoosier phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    sinissa:
    ... only because it is the truth.

Or are you seriously trying to tell me that "communist-bloc" press is free to publish stories on government and military shortcomings without fear of reprisal... or that dreaded knock at the door in the middle of the night?
    I thought so.

Tim