Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Seeking Info CO B 2759 Engineer C Battalion

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Jake jr, May 3, 2014.

1. Jake jr

Jake jr New Member

Seeking any information regarding Father's service WWII. Working from Honorable Discharge document, Father was assigned to Co B 2759th Engineer C BN.
    Jacob Holmes, Private, was inducted into Army in Albany, NY on May 12, 1941. Father received basic training @ Brownwood, Texas training center.
    According to a reference book, the 2759th Engineer Battalion was formed October 10, 1944, in Qualiano, Italy, the source of the troops were 591 Engineer Boat Regiment. The 591st Engineer Boat Regiment was formed @ Camp Edwards, Massachusetts on June 15, 1942. The 591st departed P/E New York 08/05/1942 arriving England (?) on August 17, 1942. (I assume Father was in the 591st).
    The 591 Engineer Boat Regiment was sent to Oran, Algeria, November 8, 1942. The 591st was involved in Operation Torch and must have remained in Algeria for 13 months.
    The 591st Engineer Boat Regiment was sent to Qualiano, Italy, arriving December 6, 1943. The 591st was inactivated November 1, 1944. The troops were split into two units: 2759th Engineer Combat Battalion and the 1185th Engineer Combat Group. Since Father's Honorable Discharge indicates his unit was 2759th Engineer Combat Battalion, I think the previous assignments should be correct. Unfortunately, Father really didn't discuss his units or assignments, but he was assigned with the Engineers. The 2759th Engineer Combat Battalion was sent to France (?) December 20, 1944. The 2759th traveled from France to St. Martin, Czechoslovakia, arriving August, 1945.
    Father returned Ft. Dix, New Jersey and was discharged on August 27, 1945.
    Father's Hon. Discharge indicates military occupation as Winch Operator 473. The document indicates Father was with the 591st Amphibian Engineer Brigade and served in England, Africa, Corsica, France, Italy, and Germany. His unit was cited for meritorious service.
    Seeking cities dates of assignment of the 591st and the 2759th Engineers.
    Seeking location of any information available for the 591st and 2759th Engineers.
    Very grateful for any provided information. Posted by Jake jr

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Amazon has a history of the 591st for $150, but that seems a bit pricey to me. If you have a local library, you could see if they may be able to help you access one of the copies held at another library listed here.

If you haven't found them yet, the US Army Green Books Technical Services collection has a couple of volumes regarding the Corps of Engineers which may be helpful: Troops & Equipment and The War Against Germany.

If you really want to know every city and date of your father's service (and if money is no object), your best bet is to hire a professional researcher.

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

4. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Jake, Just a suggestion. Our town has a state university which offers an OCS (Officers Candidate School) program. The university has a very complete military library for the OCS program. If you have such a facility near you, it might be worth a try to see if they have something on the 591st. Good luck. The important thing is "Don't give up."

5. Jake jr

Jake jr New Member

FYI - The Quantico Marine Base Library located within the Alfred M. Gray Research Center @ Quantico Marine Base, Virginia, USA, is an excellent place to search for military information. The Library seems almost forgotten, but it has a wealth of information. Hope this resorce can help in your quest for information.
    Jake jr

6. Jake jr

Jake jr New Member

I, Jake, jr, was able to obtain & read a copy of the book 591st Engineer Boat Regiment. Very enlightening, but I was unable to determine what specific "company" my Father was with. Seems like it should have been Companies “H” or” I”, but the book not very specific about the tasks preformed. My Father must have been part of the effort of Support to the drive up through Italy, but I do not know what Army that would be? My Father was officially honorably discharged from the Army as a member of 2759th Engineer Combat Battalion, Company “B” on August 27, 1945 at FT. Dix, New Jersey. Still looking for more information. Thanks (08/06/2021)

7. Louis F

Louis F New Member

My father was also in the units that your father was in. I am writing a biography of his war experience using his diary. He does not mention anybody by your father's name. Attached is a photo that he took of Company H while in Bastia, Corsica in the summer of 1944. Maybe you can locate your father in it. My father is in the third row, right of center and he is the only person smiling. I'll send you an outline of the Company's journey in a later message. Merry Christmas.
    Corsica Al w Co H Group crop.jpg

Slipdigit likes this.
  8. Jake jr

Jake jr New Member

To Louis F, A wonderful picture. I think your Father is just to the left of two men wearing white t-shirts, if not let me know. I was unable to find my Father in this picture, may not the full company or he may be blocked by other soldiers. I would be very interested in the biography you are working on. I very seldom sign in, so I was surprised to see your post. My Father would have been 104 years old this year, so not much information that I can locate. The book 591st Engineer Boat Regiment would be very helpful to you if you can find it.
    So still in search of any information regarding 2759th Engineer Combat Battalion, Company “B” from 1941 through 1945.Thanks, Jake jr

9. Louis F

Louis F New Member

JakeJr. I finally published my father's biography. It is called Reveille at 6:15 available on Amazon.com.

Front Cover Rev at 615.jpg