Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Seeking info re Dad's WWII service with the 44th, pre- and post-Battle of the Bulge

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by JillinSC, Jan 31, 2019.

1. JillinSC

JillinSC New Member

I hope someone can help me. Most of my father's Army records were destroyed during the 1973 fire at the Archives, and the papers he brought home with him after his WWII service in Europe were thrown away by mistake. Since he did not like to talk about what he witnessed during his service, I have many unanswered questions - especially about where he went after the Battle of the Bulge.

I know he was a Corporal, and he served with the 44th. Infantry. I have his serial number, his discharge date, when he arrived back in NY, and some other details, but would like to retrace his steps in Europe. I understand I need to know his regiment to be able to do that.

Can anyone suggest any avenues I can pursue, to find out in which regiment he served?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated by a proud daughter of a Battle of the Bulge survivor.

Thank you!

2. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I suspect you mean the 44th Infantry Division? You can trace its movements pretty easily here 44th INFANTRY DIVISION - Order of Battle of the United States Army - WWII - ETO | U.S. Army Center of Military History Scroll down to command posts. If you need additional information, you would need to do some serious research to find out what unit of the division he was assigned to and then trace his activity through his Company Morning Reports. His arrival date back in the US could help narrow down what unit he may have been in. What is it? The other details can alsso be helpful, please let us know what you know.

3. JillinSC

JillinSC New Member

George Llewellyn Kremer, Jr., serial number 32223422, transferred as a Corporal to the 44th Infantry Division at Ft. Lewis, WA, SQ#303, Hq TIS, Dec.15/1942.
    Date of induction was Mar.5/1942.
    He was in the Officer Candidate Class of #135, attached to 16th. Co.THIRD STUD TNG BN (OFF) FIRST STUD TNG REGT, ISSC at Ft. Benning, GA for the month of Dec, 1942.
    His Final Payment Worksheet says:
    Enlisted or Inducted in Brooklyn, NY on Mar. 5, 1942, and that he arrived back in the States on 6 November 1945. He had three years of service, and was honorably discharged on 12 November 1945, and the notation is RR1-1.
    He was with the 174th. Infantry in the San Fernando, CA, in July 1943, and had a pass allowing him "...to be absent from this post at any time to carry out his duties as assistant to the Special Service Officer." It's signed by 1st. Lt. Carl A. Straub, the Special Service Officer, and dated July 27, '43.
    He was at Camp Clatsop, OR, in 1942, as well as Ft. Lewis, WA.
    He became friends at some point with Chaplain Boardman Wallace Edwards.
    I have some pictures he took in 1945 of Versailles, Compiegne (dated May 1945), and one that says "Marie Antoinette's favorite chalet." My brother also has a picture of him that he thinks was taken at Le Havre.
    Not sure any if that helps, but I believe that's all the info I've been able to track down.