Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Service numbers

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Bruce Reigle, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Bruce Reigle

Bruce Reigle New Member

Ive been trying to look up my fathers Naval service records to find out if any medals were due to him and basically find out what he did in WW-2. I know he was a P.O.W.and escaped . Every avenue I’ve tried asks for his service number and I don’t have it. Is there any way to find out what it is? He served in the Philippines, 42-46.

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I'm not sure of the protocol, but check here.
    Record Group 389: Records of the Office of the Provost Marshal General
    • Records of World War II Prisoners of War
      National Archives Identifier: 583428
      Technical Documentation: 67 pages of main documentation; 100 pages supplemental documentation
      Online Access: Download  Search
      This series has information about U.S. military officers and soldiers and U.S. and some Allied civilians who were prisoners of war and internees held by Japanese or German powers.
    Do you have any paperwork at all? His name would be a good place to start.

3. Bruce Reigle

Bruce Reigle New Member

This letter and a form letter from President Truman are all the paperwork I have. The way I understand it , my dad was liberated by the Phillipine guerillas and he stayed and fought beside them until MacArthur returned. Since his ship was gone he was reassigned to Clark Airfield and upon his discharge he was retained at Clark as a civilian, I believe he kept that position until he returned to the States in1951. He was in charge of inventory of military supplies, He told me that once a lot was accounted for , it was taken out to a cliff and bulldozed into the ocean. I do not know the name of his ship, but he was captured while setting up a coast watcher base on some island that was supposed to be deserted.

Attached Files:

4. LRusso216

Slipdigit and Biak like this.
  5. Bruce Reigle

Bruce Reigle New Member

Thank You ! I had thought that he was on the O’Brien but when I searched for crew listings I didn’t find his name so I just assumed my memory was wrong. He never talked too much to me about the war, but I overheard him talking once to another Navy vet about the destroyer getting rammed or bombed by an airplane.

6. Bruce Reigle

Bruce Reigle New Member

820 48 46 is apparently not his service number, when I entered it at vetrecs.gov , it came up as invalid.

7. Bruce Reigle

Bruce Reigle New Member

Ok, got it straightened out, I wasn’t supposed to put those spaces between the numbers. BUT !! Here’s a puzzle, if my dad was assigned to the O’Brien on July 1st 1945 , he either never made it or he was flown back because the O’Brien was at Mare island on that date getting fixed, and then she joined the third fleet and headed for Japan. So, how did my dad wind up at Luzón at the end of the war , and where in the blazes was he between 42 and 45 ?

8. chibobber

chibobber Member

Many members have had good luck hiring researchers if you get totally stumped. I have used Redbird and Golden Arrow Research with good results.There are others.
    Good luck

9. LRusso216

rsz_reigle.jpg

Is this better?
    I'll echo Bob (chibobber) about hiring a researcher. I used Golden Arrow. They do the legwork, especially since there seems to be some questions about where he was.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Slipdigit likes this.
  10. Bruce Reigle

Bruce Reigle New Member

Lou, Thanks for posting that document, can you tell me exactly what it means ? Everything Im finding out so far is after is after Jul. 1, 1945, so that poses the question, where the heck was my dad between 42 and 45 ? He was supposedly involved in setting up coast watchers, was that classified or something ? How did he get from the Great Lakes boot camp to Luzon in the first place ? He had to have been on another ship. what does his rating mean,, slc (tm) ?

11. Bruce Reigle

Bruce Reigle New Member

Ok, I think I got this part, he was transferred to Subic for discharge. Sorry I’m so dense! I got my request for service records sent out to the National Archives this morning, now I wait. I couldn’t have done it without help from you guys,Thanks again !

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  12. Bruce Reigle

Bruce Reigle New Member

Well, it’s starting to look like my dads war stories were a bunch of baloney to impress my mom when they were dating. Mom found my Dads discharge papers and since he didn’t enlist until July of 43, he certainly wasn’t in the Bataan march like Mom insists. As a matter of fact, It doesn’t look like he even left the States until he was assigned to the OBrien in May of 45. The discharge papers are pretty hard to read.

13. LRusso216

Can you post the discharge papers? It might give us a better picture of his service.

14. Bruce Reigle

Bruce Reigle New Member

I was trying to but Im doing something wrong. I have it in my photo album file, tell me how to post it . This is an ipad mini 2

15. Bruce Reigle

Bruce Reigle New Member

16. Bruce Reigle

Bruce Reigle New Member

I’ve been trying to upload the photo of the discharge papers but I’m getting an error alert that says the file is too large. What does that mean? It’s only one photo.

17. LRusso216

You're only allowed to post a picture of a certain size (I can't remember what it is). The number of photos is immaterial. Try a photo resizer. I use this one http://www.picresize.com/

18. Bruce Reigle

Bruce Reigle New Member

Ok, what I did manage to do was create an album, I think. I then put in a pic of the discharge paper, maybe you can see it now ?

19. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

From your album, click on one of the images. After the page loads, there should be a "Share This Media" box in the bottom right corner of the page. Click on the URL under "Share Image" and copy. On the Tool Bar of the posting window, click on the Image icon (looks like a photograph), paste the URL, and click on "Insert".

[​IMG]

Slipdigit likes this.
  20. Bruce Reigle

Bruce Reigle New Member