Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Sgt. Kirk Taylor KIA Afghanistan Dec 30, 2009 84 Independent Field Battery, Royal Canadian Artillery

Discussion in 'Roll of Honor & Memories - All Other Conflicts' started by macrusk, Jan 1, 2010.

1. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Sgt. Kirk Taylor leaves note to media

Sgt. Kirk Taylor, who died in Afghanistan December 30, prepared a statement to be released to media in the event of his death.

"To the media, I wish to state the following:

I believe the that the mission in Afghanistan is vital for us not only as Canadians but as human beings, what we are doing is trying to help Afghans develop solutions to Afghan problems and to help them help themselves. Build today for a better tomorrow.

Please during this time of loss and mourning for my family and friends please leave them their personal space so they can grieve."

Sgt. Kirk Taylor, 84 Independent Field Battery, Royal Canadian Artillery

The Canadian Press: Family says N.S. soldier killed in Afghanistan passionate about helping others

Family says N.S. soldier killed in Afghanistan passionate about helping others

(CP) – 9 hours ago

YARMOUTH, N.S. — A soldier from Nova Scotia killed earlier this week by a powerful insurgent bomb in Afghanistan is being remembered as a quietly confident, witty and dedicated man who had long aspired to serve in the war-torn country.

In a statement, the family of Sgt. Kirk Taylor said it admired the 28-year-old reservist for his deep commitment to Canada's mission in Afghanistan.
    Taylor had an "expressed wish to be part of the hope that our Canadian military is seeking to realize there," read the statement released Friday.
    "Kirk worked hard to realize his ultimate goal to deploy and of being able to contribute to hopes of the Afghan people."

Taylor, from Yarmouth, N.S., was among four Canadian soldiers and a Calgary journalist killed Wednesday as they rode in an armoured vehicle on the outskirts of Kandahar city on a routine patrol.

Sgt. George Miok, 28, Cpl. Zachery McCormack, 21, Pte. Garrett Chidley, 21, and reporter Michelle Lang, 34, died in the blast. Their remains were en route to Canada on Friday.

Taylor's mother, Christina Smith, recalled in the statement how her son's military ambitions grew over the years from his days in the Sea Cadets program to his eventual enrolment as a reserve soldier.

"I saw him become the man I knew he always was," the statement said. "We are very proud of Kirk's dedication and commitment as a soldier."

Taylor, who served with the 84 Independent Field Battery, divided his time between the reserves and his job at a not-for-profit agency that provides residential support for children and adults with disabilities.

Aside from a "wild, witty sense of humour" and strength of character, Taylor's family said he possessed a knack for lifting the hopes of people around him.

Nova Scotia Premier Darrell Dexter also released a statement Friday, offering his condolences to Taylor's family and friends.

"My thoughts and prayers are with the family as they cope with this tragic loss," he said.

Dexter said Taylor, like all members of the Canadian Forces, would be forever remembered as a hero who fought for peace, freedom and democracy.

2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Thank you Michelle for posting this. Words may fail me but Sgt. Taylor is in my thoughts.

3. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

Rest in Peace Sgt. Taylor.

4. charlotte72

charlotte72 recruit

I m agree both of you. Yes off course Thank you Michelle for posting this and Words may fail me but Sgt.

5. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Good men all around.

6. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

This is a thread in a sacred part of the Forum to honour those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for their country. This particular area is for those in conflicts, wars, and peace-keeping actions outside the parameters of World War II. Any political commentary is highly unsuitable, and I am horrified to see it here where I started a thread to honour one of my countrymen who died far too young serving on my behalf - particularly when it is by one of my countrymen who apparently served in the same army. Moderators, can you please move controversial political statements and debate to the Stump.

luketdrifter and Biak like this.
  7. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Michelle, your wish is my command.

macrusk and Biak like this.