Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Sharing copies of WWII Documents

Discussion in 'Photographs and Documents' started by macrusk, Nov 18, 2007.

1. David Cohen

David Cohen Member

This is all very cool. I have a bunch of documents mostly random things like draft cards, tax forms, voting cards and a few newspapers. I like to find the unusual items. I have two oversees editions of one of the Philly newspapers which has my high school listed in the sports section. I will scan the ones that I can and upload them this weekend if I get the chance.

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

folks

may want to check out Ghost Bombers web-site run by author Nick Beale. full of essential info's on WW aviation and access to hard to reach libraries and archiv's.

E ~

3. colletorww2

colletorww2 Ace

I have a document regarding my grandfather's fishing pass, it is dated 1941.

4. Fgrun83

Fgrun83 Member

Today i was going through my fathers box of papers and i found some of my grandfathers papers i never knew i had, i am going to try within a week or two to scan I have a 1942 Thanksgiving Menu along with the complete roster of the medical detachment for the 3?7th infantry division, I also have a map it shows of North Africa and Italy and the east coast of the united states and how far they traveled each day until they reached stateside again after the war. The Thanksgiving Menu is pretty brittle but the map is really crisp for its age.

5. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

You can use a digital camera to copy these documents, especially the odd sized ones. A tripod is handy. A Gorillapod is extremely handy.

Fgrun83 likes this.
  6. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

You could contact a local museum to see if they can help you on how to preserve the menu and map. A reputable gallery that does framing may also be able to assist you in having these mounted onto another surface.

To preserve any of your documents do not let them touch newspaper in particular; and non-archival paper of any kind! If you can put any documents you want to preserve into the archival quality document pockets and it will help keep the acid from each of the documents causing deterioration of the others.

And I emphasize, archival quality pockets:

Can I store my documents in those plastic protector sheets that fit 3-ring binders?
    Plastic enclosures are safe for documents ONLY if they are made of polyester, polypropylene, or polyethylene. Other plastics are not chemically stable and will release damaging acids over time. Especially dangerous is PVC (polyvinylchloride) commonly found in store-bought” binders; it emits hydrochloric acid over time.

Preserving Old Documents

CCI: Preserving My Heritage - How to Care For - Paper Documents and Newspaper Clippings

Northeast Document Conservation Center — Resources: Private and Family Collections

Preserving Books, Documents, and Papers - Kansas State Historical Society

There are numerous other sites out there for how to best preserve documents and other memorabilia.

Fgrun83 likes this.
  7. macrusk

Hmm, going back looking at the original post, I realized that my dates were very wrong, as my Dad was saying he was 18!, so gave his birth date as Dec 1920, not the 1922 I originally posted. Just had to change for accuray....

8. F.A.Q.

F.A.Q. recruit

Here's something you don't often see. What I means is I've seen loose pages before but never the whole book and the date thing on the bottom…

YouTube - manualsontheweb's Channel

9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

cheers for sharing these pictures with us, I had not seen that calendar before

10. spdmrcht

spdmrcht recruit

Hi there, this is a little different. I have the German Medical records for my Father
    who was captured in Kesternich in Dec. 44 and shipped to Muleburg POW camp til
    the end of the war. What I need is a medical transcriber to put them in to English
    for me. I will scan and email them to you. Thank you in advance. Ron.

11. macrusk

Ron, You may want to post these in the Genealogical, as well as the Information Requests subforums to obtain a better chance that they will be read by someone who can assist with the transcription.

12. colletorww2

colletorww2 Ace

Are the medical records handwritten?

13. 12thPanzer

12thPanzer Member

Hello All, some nice documents here!

Here I have an interesting award document from a ww2 Panzertruppe from Panzer Regiment 33. I have an entire grouping of this man, but this is an award document for a "not so often seen" award for a German Panzertruppe - Bulgarian Cross for Bravery or " Soldatenkruez der TapferkeitsOrdens" 1st class. This document was sent to his wife right after he was killed. He was arwarded this Order for his heroic actions in the Balkans with Panzer Regiment 33.

Message to the Widow from Kompanie Officer reads: " On the Grounds of your Husband's Dashing actions in the Balkan Campaign, he has been awarded the Royal Bulgarian Cross of Bravery 1st Class. I am sending you the decoration, with award certificate to ensure you that the kompanie shall forever remember him and is proud that he has been awarded this decoration."
    " In the name of our Kompanie, I send you best regards, hoping that you and your daughter are well"
    - "Heil Hitler!"
    In Memory of Joseff Rossman

(P.S. - he also served w/ Pz Reg 2)

Attached Files:

14. andrwoo

andrwoo New Member

I have a couple post cards/holiday cards sent from my pappal to my mammal before they got married. I learned he liked to call her "honey" a lot. He also grew up on a farm in eastern Kentucky. You can tell from a couple of things he says.

These first three post cards pappal wrote while stationed at Camp Parks.

20 Aug 1944
    [​IMG]

15 Sep 1944
    [​IMG]

04 Oct 1944
    [​IMG]

Info from Wikipedia Page on Camp Parks
    "Soon after the creation of the Seabees at the beginning of World War II, the U.S. Navy decided to build a West Coast replacement and recuperation center for Naval Construction Battalions returning from overseas. Camp Parks was officially established on November 26, 1942, having been named in honor of Rear Admiral Charles W. Parks, Civil Engineer Corps (CEC), the World War I chief of the Bureau of Yards and Docks.[1] Adjacent to Camp Parks to the east, was Camp Shoemaker and the U.S. Naval Hospital Shoemaker, also built during the war. The three Navy bases laying side by side were called "Fleet City."

In 1945, on its huge paved parade ground, Camp Parks could muster more than 20,000 men and hundreds of officers. It was the home for Seabee battalions returning from the Pacific Theater of Operations after a year or more of arduous construction duty. They came to Camp Parks for medical treatment, military training and reorganization. The base housed up to 20 battalions at a time. Most battalions prepared for a second tour in the Pacific. Many Seabees were hospitalized, and those no longer fit for duty received their discharge. After their initial leaves, personnel were given rigorous training and battalions were brought back up to fighting strength.

In 1946, at the end of World War II, the United States Secretary of the Navy disestablished the three facilities, and from 1946 to 1951, the Navy leased the land to the County of Alameda for use as Santa Rita Jail. The sea of Quonset huts and its two-story wooden barracks were dismantled in the following years."

This is a Christmas Card sent from Iwo Jima
    [​IMG]

And another Christmas Card sent from Iwo Jima on 17 Dec 1944
    [​IMG]

Skipper and macrusk like this.
  15. macrusk

I like the postcards and Christmas cards from Iwo Jima, Andrwoo. Thank you for sharing!

16. maximillion

maximillion New Member

17. Jba45ww2

Jba45ww2 Well-Known Member

Hello all. I just joined and I was wondering if there was any interest in renewing this thread? I think all documents from this time period should be preserved and shared so that they can be used by others.

18. lwd

lwd Ace

I suspect many of us weren't even aware of this thread. I believe it was from one of the other forums Otto has rescued. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. I'll note that there is a thread on period propaganda posters and hyperwar has a lot of documents that anyone can get to.

19. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I have no idea what we're talking about.

Otto and von Poop like this.
  20. lwd

lwd Ace

:)

OpanaPointer likes this.