Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Sherman Firefly in Normandy.

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1943 - 1945' started by Martin Bull, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Killing German armor was not a attacking phase thing. When you defend that is your thing. Killing German at guns when attacking must have been really hard.

2. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

Well spotted.

However, can I draw your attention to German defensive doctrine and the epmphasis placed on the quick and planned counter attack - Gegenstoss and Gegenangrief. A recurrent theme of Anglo Canadian British operations was an advance covered by massive fire power accompanied by anti tank guns which were then deployed to defeat the counter attack, There is a Yin and Yang aspect to attack and defence.

Kai-Petri likes this.
  3. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Thanx!
    Massive artillery fire has never worked the way planned neither the massive bomber attack, well, the latter worked in Hamburg. When the Red Army attacked the Finnish lines june 10 1944 they bombed and sent artillery fire for two days. Yet when the offensive started there were enough men alive to come out of bunkers and almost stop the offensive until the Soviets made a breakthrough with force in the left flank after two days.
    I can only say from military history you never destroy the enemy as much you expected with artillery, and naval guns never win against coastal batteries. Sounds strange but so far I have only found negative results in books.

4. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

Battle of Copenhagen might count as a victory for naval guns (rather off topic, sorry)

5. Frank Natoli

Frank Natoli Member

It was British Fireflies that finally got Michael Wittman.